Hey Guys N Gals New To The Forum

TropicalDanny

Reaction score
hey every one new to the forum and keep tropical fish, kept them on and off for about 3 years but i just brought a new tank (90lrts) and ive really got interested in it i have 2 angels, 2 dollmation mollys, 2 glass catfish, 3 red eye tetra, 3 red and black tetra, 4 sucking louch and 2 indian Gourami. (i will get a picture tomoz and post one), but what i really wanted advise on is live plants what sort are best for the fish i have?? and also im looking at getting an external filter what would you recommend? ive found a good budget one from allpondsolutions   http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/aquarium-external-filter-1000-l-h.html really like the look and sound of this but like i say im new to this would it be worth spending a few pound more and getting the one with the uv light in ????? any advise would be great THANKS FOR READINGGGGGG :) :) :)

that filter flows 1000 LPH !!!!!!!!!

way overkill....your tank would be a whirlpool

what is wrong with your current filter?

the filter in there now is just old and makes a lot noise, think it will pack in soon so would have to buy a new one soon anyway and was wanting to get an external filter saw this and thought great lol obviously not, glad i asked now, i saw the ** suitable for tanks up to 400 lrts. what would you recommend  fish addict, thanks for your reply as well mate.

an aquaclear 50 is what i would use on that tank....

you said you recently bought the tank, how long has it been set up for?

is the tank/filter cycled?

WELCOME!!!

tank is to small for the angels. 1 angel needs around 30 gallons. 113 liters. for proper growth and health
biggrin.png

glass fish are schooling fish and should be around 4-5+ in numbers. and get around 4 inches.
your indian gourami will get around 11 inches... sooo way to small of a tank
your sucking loach will get around 7 inches. they eat algae when young but when older will attack other fish (eats their slime coat), damage live plants sooo they need to be kept in a large tank with beast fish that can take them xD haha

mollies have no problem with being in a tank of that size
biggrin.png

so i would say up grade your tank so a 60 gallon (227 liter) tank that would be good for the angels(2), glass fish (must be kept in 4-5+ group), mollies, 1 sucking loaches and tetras.
rehome the indian gourami, and sucking loaches.

or if you dont want to upgrade. rehome the loaches, indian gourami, angels, and glass fish.

don't mean to be a party-pooper, but your tank is way over stocked. 

********basing this off is 90 Lrts means 23 gallons.

its all been set up for 3 and abit weeks now fish addict, and yeah i did a fishless cycle for a week that was hard not to buy fish and buy the sound of it ive brought all the wrong ones lol. and thanks for your reply fishaholic lol your not a party pooper nope i need to know these thing, up grading isnt an option (yet) as dont have the room lol. Thanks for your help im sure it can be frustrating lol .  

TropicalDanny said:
its all been set up for 3 and abit weeks now fish addict, and yeah i did a fishless cycle for a week that was hard not to buy fish and buy the sound of it ive brought all the wrong ones lol. and thanks for your reply fishaholic lol your not a party pooper nope i need to know these thing, up grading isnt an option (yet) as dont have the room lol. Thanks for your help im sure it can be frustrating lol .  

there is no possible way your tank was cycled after one week, it probably still is not

just say if you are out buying fish and one catches your eye then look at the name tag it should give the size and how big the tank needs to be.. THEN go home a google it lol 

beginners like to use the inch per gallon rule so they don't over stock. for ever inch of the fish when its at its adult max size (not including fins) is how many gallons it should need. but this will vary because you can't have a 11 inch fish in a 20 gallon and be like oh yay i can have it haha... its like a guide line.

and for a fishless cycle it usually takes i think a month.. not to sure.. haven't done one in a long time. (tanks have been set up for a long time haha) Mikey1 will help you with that :D

see this is why forum are here for people like me lol i thought it would only take around a week for it to do so and build up the bacteria in the filter. SO MUCH TO LEARN ARHHH BRAIN HURTS LOL  well my fish seem to be ok (so far). id hate to think what else im doing wrong now lol. 

yes... now how much are you feeding? fish look fat? (usually beginners have troubles with this.. i should know at the beginning to my fish were huge ha)

they have a pinch of flake and 1 tablet in the morning and then a small cude of frozen blood worm at night. hope this is ok lol if not please tell me lol they look healthy not fat non have bellys that stick out lol also could i leave the fish as there are at the min and when they start gettin to adult size and problems start could i sell them or would it be best to just get them out now?

The bloodworm should be fed only once or twice a week, not every day. And what is the "tablet" you're feeding?

At the very least I would try to rehome the angels. At the most I would rehome all of them and start the fishless cycle (click on the link in my sig for more info). 

And if you do get a new filter, be sure to keep the media from your old filter (floss, cotton, bioballs, ceramics, whatever) as it has started to colonize bacteria to some degree.

Two things to put on your shopping list:  a liquid test kit (API, Salifert or Nutrafin) so you can test your own water and be sure of the results; and Seachem Prime to dechlorinate your water, which also neutralizes a list of bad stuff in your water.

the tablet is a plant and vegetable. if i was to get new media for my filter come i leave this in my tank to colonize bacteria while still using my original media ? and yes those are on my to buy tomorrow list. so the blood worm is more like a treat thing (they dont really need it in there diet)? thanks for your help all :D x

Welcome. You have some major stocking issues.
Angels out
Suckers out
Indian gourami out
Tetras need bigger group
Glass catfish out

Mollies in :)

Thanks for all your help once again I am really homing my angels today would I need to get rid of all my suckers? What else could I buy to clean my glass lol. How many more tetra would you saw I should buy not going to.get them for a few weeks now though need it to cycle more. Thanks again for all you help learning more each day :)

Most reactions

Back