Help! Fish Dying - Real Problems

I wouldn't strip the tank down just yet, a good vacum clean, and water changes, as if a fish does have something nasty and you put it back into the nice new striped down tank, it will make no difference, as if it does have something nasty it will just infect the tank again.
Quarantine tanks are worth there money, as you can use them for quarantine and hospital tanks, good luck.

I think you need to do some shopping. Get a polyfilter & some new buckets as I suspect you have a pollutant. Soap & detergents will raise pH. How deep is the gravel?
Get the ammonia stuff and rowaphos out of the filter & put the polyfilter in. (the carbon can stay too)

Have you been decorating?
Any air fresheners?
Carpet fresheners?

This all points to a water quality issue rather than a primary infection. Which water company supplies you?

You never no, but the fish would of been gasping at the top of the tank, and rolling over on there backs, and he has never mentioned the fish gasping at the top of the tank, plus clamped fins.

All fish look much happier today - Platys back to chasing around like usual and all the rainbows in full colour. Water nice and clear. Cut right back on the feeding for the time being. No clamping - never been clamping at all. No gasping and I have two big airstones and a lot or aeration. Will check/clean buckets again - Anglia Water supplies water and all looks fine when I test raw water.

Do you let water stand before adding? And do you boil water for the hot to bring cold temp up, or just use from mixer tap - I have done both but now stopped mixer in case something dodgy in my hot water tank. I always think that little capful of Aquaplus in a big bucket of water can't possibly work to get all the chlorine out - maybe I should do cold and let stand overnight with treatment to come to room temp?

Will keep up the regular water changes and treat with an anti internal bacteria on Thursday after a 10-15% change. Hopefully if I can get through a few weeks regular changing and vacumming the gravel, plus the meds, I can save the rest of the stock.

-_-

Thanks again for help - I'll post again later in the week and will try and get a picture up of my two silver mollyies so you can see how one has turned yellowy.

Ok, good luck hope there are no more deaths.

You never no, but the fish would of been gasping at the top of the tank, and rolling over on there backs, and he has never mentioned the fish gasping at the top of the tank, plus clamped fins.
Not in very low concentration and there are other possible contaminants.

I've seen similar problems in a tank before. It was my Mum's & we autopsied & did cultures, odd fish died at odd intervals over several months, water parameters perfect, ro water & buffers - you name it we tried it. All was revealed when we caught the cleaner using pledge on the hood.

Definately no pledge! Hood gets dusted by my hand when it comes off for a change!!

Picture of both silver mollies, both female now male died, you can see that one is bright silver white, and the other is a yellowy colour from top to middle. Was never brilliant white but seems to have got yellower with time! More pronounced than the picture would have you believe.

Also picture of my golden barbs - they have always been quite big (fat) for a long long time and never really thought anything of it - could that be bacterial effect?

They all look well to me, i would put them platy pics up in the livebearer section as they can change colour i think.

The fat fish look fine no bloating just well fed, i have some.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back