Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help Corydoras Laying On Its Side

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by anne.1, Oct 26, 2011.

1. anne.1

anne.1 Member

i checked my tank this evening and found one of my corys on its side and thought it was dead. it had since moved, scurried round the tank a bit and then back on its side again with quite rapid breathing. it was absolutely fine earlier.
    i have been doing regular weekly water changes 25% or more. tank been running for 8 weeks. water parameters are
    ammonia 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrates 50
    ph 7.5
    temperature 77

fish stock
    2 panda garras, 3 cory serbium, 1 rtbs, 8 neon tetras, 2 black mollys, 5 false flying fox
    the only difference is today i gave them some boiled shelled peas could it have been this i have read this is good for them.
    am going to do 30% water change tomorrow. i hope he makes it through the night.
    can anybody advise please

2. MICKEYSWIFT

MICKEYSWIFT Member

It may of eaten to much and therefore effecting its swim bladder.
    Just leave it for a few days and he should come right.

3. anne.1

anne.1 Member

thanks for getting back, you may be right hes still here today swims a bit then rests in some peculiar positions i`ll lay off the food today as well.

4. mark4785

mark4785 Member

Usually a dramatic change in water temperature can cause problems with the swimbladder. Alternatively, a bacterial infection may be to blame. If you are certain that the tank temperature has remained consistent I would consider treating for a internal bacterial infection.

What are you feeding the fish? A lack of a highly nutritious diet may be the precursor to a bacterial swimbladder problem.