Has My Tank Got Good Water?

[well they said that she would only grow as big as the tank would allow so she wouldn't get to big. He said that she was a nice thing to have in my tank as they help clean it

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh

They want shooting. Growing to the size of the tank is called stunting and will result in a shortened life and a horrible painful death. What they have told you is rubbish and I'd expect better from a shop with their reputation.

As for cleaning the tank - plecs produce far more waste than they will ever eat algae, this is a pet hate of mine - shops selling them as 'cleaner fish'

For your tank once it has been running about 6 months 3 or 4 ottocinclus would be fine as small quite good algae eaters.

The tank itself will be a lovely tank - a few more plants, one with broader leaves which your betta will like - maybe something floating will just finish it off.

:( I have fallen for it again :( I specifically asked all the questions 2!!

I hope it will be ok... it seems to be happy.

I can't wait for my frog to grow a bit as she is soooooooo small it takes me ages to find her lol

Cool I will get a bigger planted plant when I get some money :)

What do u mean by something floating??

Thanks for your help :D

Really you should take the plec back - it will not do well in your tank and don't blame yourself - if you asked the questions then at least you tried and remember they will probably spin every new fishkeeper the same line - they will look and sound knowledgable. I would also write to the manager innocently asking if he knows how bad the advice they are giving is.

Some floating plant would give a bit of cover and silk or plastic plants are just as good as real ones (and in my hands last a lot longer too :eek: )

Just to back IndigoJ up, her advice is spot on.

That plec really should be returned, it will not be happy in that tank for long. And with the sheer amount of waste they produce you risk water quality issues that then affect the other fish.

Really you should take the plec back - it will not do well in your tank and don't blame yourself - if you asked the questions then at least you tried and remember they will probably spin every new fishkeeper the same line - they will look and sound knowledgable. I would also write to the manager innocently asking if he knows how bad the advice they are giving is.

Some floating plant would give a bit of cover and silk or plastic plants are just as good as real ones (and in my hands last a lot longer too :eek: )

:( I may do that :( why do they feel the need to lie... we asked loads of questions and explained everything about my tank etc

At least I have decided that I want a calm friendly community tank and I have seen so other suitable fish I can get in a few weeks once these guys have settled.

Do the plants in ur tank grow roots and last?? Never thought of a floating fake plant... I may have to look around and try and find one.

What fish have you seen as there is not much else that will fit in that space with a Betta.

I'd go for real floating plants and either some Java fern (very easy to keep alive) or a broadleaf silk plant (or both)

I don't have much luck with plants but I don't have strong enough lighting.

What fish have you seen as there is not much else that will fit in that space with a Betta.

I'd go for real floating plants and either some Java fern (very easy to keep alive) or a broadleaf silk plant (or both)

I don't have much luck with plants but I don't have strong enough lighting.

Well the guy in the shop (it may be all rubbish) said I should stick to smallish clam fish... so I saw some guppies and some other nice ones... he said not to go for anything with big fins as my betta will feel threatened and may attack it... also I can get nothing that will eat the betta's fins. I can't remember the names but they we nice and colourful :)

When I had my goldfish my plants got eaten nearly every week EEK, I hope these last longer!!

try and get a pic before you get them. and be aware many bettas will not tolerate tank mates

Whooooooo my test kit came today... it looks well complicated and like I could blow myself up lol

I am thinking of maybe getting some guppies for my tank next, as these are meant to be well suited with what I have already got :)

Just to clarify, which tank are you wanting to put guppies into?

What are the current accupants of the tank?

And now you have your test kit, what are ALL of the readings?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (if you have API master test kit make sure you shake the nitrate bottles really well before you use them otherwise you may get a false reading)
pH

Just to clarify, which tank are you wanting to put guppies into?

What are the current accupants of the tank?

And now you have your test kit, what are ALL of the readings?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate (if you have API master test kit make sure you shake the nitrate bottles really well before you use them otherwise you may get a false reading)
pH

Hello

Currently in my tank I have a male Betta, a brown frog and a plec... they all seem to be getting on well and keeping themselves to theselves. I am wanting to have a nice chilled out tank, so I don't want anything aggresive. I know my plec may end up being a problem, but at the mo I am keeping my eye on her :)

As soon as I get home I will do my tests and pop my results up (I got the kit u told me to get :) )

What research have you done to find out if guppies are suitable with your current fish? And if you say you asked the person at the fish shop then I WILL find out where you leave and beat you with a stick....:p Well ok I wont.
But if you haven't learnt by now not to follow fish shop advice then people will start getting very very annoyed.

You need to do some proper research on your own to find out if Bettas are suitable with guppies... Then come back with your answer and your proof...

Also no plecs are suitable in a 30l tank!
You can't keep it, and shouldn't have purchased it in the first place. Again it's a case of research.
Do some RESEARCH and then come back with a list of fish you would like to keep with the betta that you have also checked will be compatible with the betta.

Also keep in mind that 30l is only 8gal so it can't safely house many fish at all.

What research have you done to find out if guppies are suitable with your current fish? And if you say you asked the person at the fish shop then I WILL find out where you leave and beat you with a stick....:p Well ok I wont.
But if you haven't learnt by now not to follow fish shop advice then people will start getting very very annoyed.

You need to do some proper research on your own to find out if Bettas are suitable with guppies... Then come back with your answer and your proof...

Also no plecs are suitable in a 30l tank!
You can't keep it, and shouldn't have purchased it in the first place. Again it's a case of research.
Do some RESEARCH and then come back with a list of fish you would like to keep with the betta that you have also checked will be compatible with the betta.

Also keep in mind that 30l is only 8gal so it can't safely house many fish at all.

Hehe well I firstly I asked in the fish shop, but with the luck I am having with them I went away and looked online. I googled what fish are suitable with each and then looked at some compatibility charts :) However when I did the research I found out that my plants are gonna get eaten lol

Hmmm I did do my research on my catfish and I asked the guy in the shop loads and loads of questions and he said that the one I got was fine and would like my tank etc etc. He also said not to worry about the size when I asked him as he said it only grows as big as the tank (which I later found out is bad for them!!)

Yeah I was only gonna get about another 1-2 medium fish or 1 - 4 small fish... what would you recommened??

Guppies do not eat plants and are VERY UNSUITABLE as tankmates for bettas.
Their long flowing fins mean that male bettas often see them as being other males and will therfore attack them. Often killing them if they aren't removed.

The only fish I would recommend for a 30l tank with a betta are:
4/5 Pygmy corys
OR 3 Otto Catfish

It will be a bit of a squeeze to add either of those species to a 30l as really they should be in a 40l. But....they would probably be ok.

However the pleco has to go. HAS TO GO.... must be re-home.... cannot live in that tank for more than a month or so....
Get my point?
I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you will inevitably kill the fish by keeping it.

With my suggestions you tank would be...
1 x Betta
4/5 x Pygmy Cory
1 x ADF

OR

1 x Betta
3 x Otto
1 x ADF

I personally would add no more fish to that tank. After re-homing the pleco I personally would go for....
1 x Betta
3 x ADF
5/6 x Cherry Shrimp
1 x Apple Snail

I would add lots of fake or real plants and plenty of hidey holes for the shrimp and frogs. and obviously keep an eye on the betta with it's tank mates to make sure he didn't decide he wanted to try and eat any of them.

Guppies do not eat plants and are VERY UNSUITABLE as tankmates for bettas.
Their long flowing fins mean that male bettas often see them as being other males and will therfore attack them. Often killing them if they aren't removed.

The only fish I would recommend for a 30l tank with a betta are:
4/5 Pygmy corys
OR 3 Otto Catfish

It will be a bit of a squeeze to add either of those species to a 30l as really they should be in a 40l. But....they would probably be ok.

However the pleco has to go. HAS TO GO.... must be re-home.... cannot live in that tank for more than a month or so....
Get my point?
I'm sorry to be so harsh, but you will inevitably kill the fish by keeping it.

With my suggestions you tank would be...
1 x Betta
4/5 x Pygmy Cory
1 x ADF

OR

1 x Betta
3 x Otto
1 x ADF

I personally would add no more fish to that tank. After re-homing the pleco I personally would go for....
1 x Betta
3 x ADF
5/6 x Cherry Shrimp
1 x Apple Snail

I would add lots of fake or real plants and plenty of hidey holes for the shrimp and frogs. and obviously keep an eye on the betta with it's tank mates to make sure he didn't decide he wanted to try and eat any of them.

Awww thanks for ur help, I will look into them fish... I know male guppies have log fins... thats why I was gonna get female.. these still unsuitable??

I hate fish shops :(

When I looked up getting a snail I didnt think I could get one as I have soft water and it said it would be bad for their shell??

I have ridiculously soft water. It is gH 0-3.... As your tank matures however it tends to stabalise at a reasonable pH.

Mine has stabalised at around 7.2 and I have snails with no problems....

I would say females will probably still be unsuitable, it's not really worth the risk to be honest. Unless you had somewhere to put the guppys if he turned on them. And even then, it only takes him to turn whilst you're asleep...
I'm just saying I wouldn't risk it.

Most reactions

Back