Hardy Tetras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
As some of you may know I have set up a 90 litre planted tank which is housing a pair of Anomalachromis Thomasi, and was wondering what to add as a shoal of dithers. Decided on cardinals and ended up with 9. Over the last day this has become 5... they have just died. Water stats are fine, ph is around 7. Now I'm thinking I made the wrong choice. Other fish I was considering was red eyed tetras, harlequin rasboras or cherry barbs... which would be the hardiest out of them? If the red eye tetras would be more suitable then I think I would prefer them. The cichlids are not bothering the cardinals at all so its nothing to do with them...

I know cherry barbs are a very hardy fish. Had 5 when I started my tank around 4 years ago and still have 2 left. They were the first fish I put in when I did my fishin cycle. I have had 2 die from swim bladder and 1 die from an abnormal growth (never found out what it was) but they only died around 2 years after the tank was set up. I'm not to sure about the other fish but I know cherry barbs are a very tough fish. Hopefully someone else will post some info. on the other fish.

I know cherry barbs are a very hardy fish. Had 5 when I started my tank around 4 years ago and still have 2 left. They were the first fish I put in when I did my fishin cycle. I have had 2 die from swim bladder and 1 die from an abnormal growth (never found out what it was) but they only died around 2 years after the tank was set up. I'm not to sure about the other fish but I know cherry barbs are a very tough fish. Hopefully someone else will post some info. on the other fish.

I've read that they're not actually a schooling fish and they like their own space. Did you find this?

Thanks for the reply.

Have you got access to any African tetra species locally...
  • African Red Eye
  • Yellow Tail Congo (from experience make sure there are at least two females per male, the blokes get very nasty with each other, one of my saddest losses before giving the last three to "mussels")
  • One-lined African Characin
  • Congo (may be a little too big for a 90l, niot sure)?

Another possibility that comes to mind is that perhaps a pair of Fundolopanchax gardneri (or similar African killifish) might work as dithers?

I've read that they're not actually a schooling fish and they like their own space. Did you find this?
No I didn't know that and didn't see it. They always had enough space if they didn't want to be near each other but they often grouped together forming small shoals. I believe I had 3 females and 2 males, although I only have the 2 males left now. They are very active and the males liked chasing the females and each other but thats normal behaviour. Never been aggressive to other fish and they got on well with my kribs. The males normally stay close to each other but like to chase each other from time to time.
If you didn't know they are very easy to sex. The males will be completely red while the females will be lighter and have more brown on them.

Thanks. I think the Congo Tetra's would be too big. Never seen or heard of the African red eye tetra. Not really into killi's either, but maybe in the future. I'm leaning towards the red eyed tetras, they looked very attractive, but if they're just as sensitive as cardinals then I will have to look towards something else.

Thanks. I think the Congo Tetra's would be too big. Never seen or heard of the African red eye tetra. Not really into killi's either, but maybe in the future. I'm leaning towards the red eyed tetras, they looked very attractive, but if they're just as sensitive as cardinals then I will have to look towards something else.

The Glowlight tetras are pretty easy as far as tetras go.

Yeah i looked at these also. They were my number one choice but them saw the red eyes and couldn't decide.

Are the glowlights hardy then? The only reason i can summon up for the Cardinals dying is because of stress from moving and acclimatisation to their new surroundings. Would this be correct or not?

Yeah i looked at these also. They were my number one choice but them saw the red eyes and couldn't decide.

Are the glowlights hardy then? The only reason i can summon up for the Cardinals dying is because of stress from moving and acclimatisation to their new surroundings. Would this be correct or not?

Yes, they are hardy. As far as Cardinals go, they CAN be very easy fish to keep as long as they come from a good breeder or are wild caught and they haven't been damaged in the move. I have always had success with them but I also do 50% water changes every week and have many plants in the tank. Most fish should be undemanding as long as the water is clean and there is no ammonia and nitrite.

The fish were from pets at home and looked absolutely stunning. Their colouration was brilliant and all seemed happy... :(

Will wait and see what happens with the rest before deciding on what to do... 5 isn't really the amount i wanted, but i don't want to buy more in case they die off too! Hmmm... awkward!

The fish were from pets at home and looked absolutely stunning. Their colouration was brilliant and all seemed happy... :(

Will wait and see what happens with the rest before deciding on what to do... 5 isn't really the amount i wanted, but i don't want to buy more in case they die off too! Hmmm... awkward!

Good plan, hopefully the rest make it!

But what do i do if they do make it? Rehome them and start with something else or try and add to the numbers? I would ideally like 10-15... :/

Ok, will leave them be for a week or two then see what happens. Really dissapointed by the deaths. I haven't lost a fish for months then 4 in 24 hours! :(

I was in the same boat as you last year when I brought my first group! I brought 18 and had 6 die in two days and they aint cheap!

The 12 I was left with have been fine for over a year now and they have been moved three times. It's just luck, these fish seem to be rather dodgy with kill/death ratio :lol: :p.

Get a couple more and pray :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back