Guppies In A Pond?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is it possible to pit guppies in a pond? I know koi fish and goldfish can be on ponds. But what other fish can be there? I have never maintain a pond for fish. Only for my turtles.

OF COURSE i keep mine out side in the summer for breeding purposes, and IMO they add more color to a pond although i wouldnt keep them with turtles or koi unless you want them all to be snacks.

Depending on temperature there are many aquarium fish that can go in a pond. Guppy, even betta, mosquito fish, flag fish, edler's livebearers, and more. Temperature is key really. 

Then probably nothing can go here. It easily gets to 125 degrees outsode during day. And i would prefer my fish dont become snack for other fish. But thank!!!

Maybe if some kind of ventilation was done. Do you think it would be possible? Winter here would not be so much of a problem. it stays in the 70s-80s here.

Since I live in the desert I know about heat. For a pond to really work well here it either needs to have plenty of shaded areas with aeration like a waterfall or better yet to be at least 3-4 feet deep. During the summer the fish will hang out in the bottom of the bond or in the shade. Depth and aeration are key. I've seen ponds work great here in our summers which often get over 115 degrees several days in a row.

Then i will try that!!! I have a pond akready but only with turtles. And they like to walk around backyard or go inside house. Thats why i have never had sn issue with their pond. But well with fish. They wont just walk into the hoise or something. Thanks for advice!!! I will try that.

True aeration and depth are key. Also you can put a pond skimmer. just to be safe

Dreamer03 said:
Then i will try that!!! I have a pond akready but only with turtles. And they like to walk around backyard or go inside house. Thats why i have never had sn issue with their pond. But well with fish. They wont just walk into the hoise or something. Thanks for advice!!! I will try that.
you can put styrofoam to cover the sides of the pond if its above ground.

That's true but in such a hot climate it shouldn't be above ground.

Yeah. I will do it underground. It is too hot to have it above. I'll see how big I can make it.

As was previously mentioned..... ambient temperatures is vital in your decision to keep tropicals in outside ponds..... Here are a few of the fish I have kept in outside ponds.... and.... they flourished....... I have also done White Clouds and various species of Killifish.... I currently have BN's, Pearl Gouramies.... and Serpae tetras outside......

Convicts in a pond:

Guppies in a pond:

Swordtails in a pond

Mollies in a pond

Blue Gouramies in a pond

Perfect examples. Ludwig, how hot does it get there?

I like how this one looks....

or I should just go full out!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back