got a 25 G

cutecotton

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi everyone :) i just bought a 2nd-hand 25G fishtank with a hood for $35 CDN. Now i alreayd have 5 bettas in te house, 4 of htem are living in a 10G right now with a divider obviously, and one is sitting in a ltitle container.

my question is this...i only have 1 filter and heater and stuff, which means that i can't keep both the 10G and the 25G running at the asme time, so how should i do this...

i dont' want to divide up the 25G as that'll make it look really ugly..so how do you think i should have my bettas? i heard from the guy that if you have a big enough tank you can keep 2 bettas in there without any conflict and no dividers...though i have my own doubts about that :blink:

Any suggestions? they're all really beaitful bettas, if i have to i can give 1 away, so i'll have 4 to deal with

If you're talking male Bettas, NO you can not keep 2 in the 25 gallon. When you're talking alot of space you're talking a lake or pond (as they would be in the wild) and I'm sorry but no tank is that big, Lol. Females can often be kept in a tank together, however there needs to be several so a proper pecking order can exist. If there are only 2 then the lower totem pole female will probably be killed.

Linda
http://www.pet-emporium.com
http://www.cooking-fanatics.com

okay, so screw what hte LFS said, any ideas to how i should keep the bettas then? :/

yes...

but...

what do u plan on puttin in the 25 ..

ur bettas dont need a heater..

id put the heater and air pump in the 25.. and leave the bettas divided in the 10...

if u put something betta compatible in the 25 then u can put one of the bettas there..

air pumps and filters are cheap at wal mart....

and if u search dollar stores u can find bug keeping containers that bettas can live in...

those r my ideassssssssssssssssssssssssss

Unfortunately LFS's so rarely give good information, it's their job to make sales, so that's their priority :(

I keep my adult Bettas in Kritter Keepers. They are plastic critter containers that are perfect for Bettas. They come in several sizes and are quite inexpensive. You only need a heater for the Bettas if the surrounding temperature will drop too low, Bettas like to be 75-85 degrees F. A little lower is ok, but they might be a bit lethargic. I keep most of my Bettas in a fish room that is heated to 80 and the one not in the fish room is in a 2.25 gallon tank with a 25W heater as that room doesn't stay warm enough most of the time.

Linda
http://www.pet-emporium.com
http://www.cooking-fanatics.com

i want to put my bettas in hte 25G tank but i have no idea how to do it without dividing the tank up too much..

btw i got a 50W heater in the 10G right now, do you think it'll be able to heat up the entire 25G?

errrr, so many things to consider about the tank...bah :crazy: my bettas are in containers, the only problem with that is the temperature, whihc constnatly drops below 70F..very dangerous for htem during the night, tha'ts hwy i put htem in the 10G so they can have the heater and a constant tempreature...

i think imight give away one of my bettas so i can keep them in the 10G, until i figure out what i wanan do with the 25G tank..

sorry i didn't see iloveyou's reply :D anyways, the only problme with not having my bettas in a heater is that my house is pretty cold most of hte time (espically at night) and the water temp tends to drop below 70F but stay in the high 60s (usually around 68) i know this is usally too cold for bettas.

I didn't want to go and buy another filter and heater for the 25G, i could reuse the heater and stuff in my 10G..or maybe leave the 10G filterless and put the filter in the 25G instead -_-

So maybe i can do this:

leave the 4 bettas divided in teh 10G tank, take out the filter, leave hte heater in.

Put the filter in the 25G and one betta in there with some other fish, get a new heater for the 25G

another problem, i don't have lights for hte 25G...maybe i can make my own? :-(

thats sounds good, just dont get gouramis in the 25 w/the betta.

so you guys think i can keep the 10G divided for 4 bettas without a filter in the tank and only a heater to keep the temp constant? :/

as for hte 25G, i'll set it up with the filter from the 10G and get a new heater for it if i have to. Not sure what fishies i'll put in with the betta yet but i don't have to worry about that right now cuz i still have to wash out the tank first lol.

what u could always do is.. put the heater and filter in the 25 gallon...

put your bettas in either breeding traps, or containers... and float them in the 25 gallon... that way at least they would be heated.... i see ur canadian... and at wal mart u can get a air pump with little filter for $15... cheap heaters are like $15... but im not sure if they have a thermostat...

that would leave your 10 gallon tank free, and you could put whatever u want in the 20 , with the bettas in their containers floating along the top.

jacblades you have lovely bettas, it would be nice for them if each one had a floating plant to snuggle in at least. I use a plant called riccia, not only does this help with the quality of water but gives them someting to focus on because they dont seem to have anything to interest them in their tanks... how do you feed and how often do you feed them? Do you have to take the stack down to do this??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back