George's Nano Journal

How is your daughter`s tank, George. Wouldn`t she like a recent picture of it posted on here?
It's good thanks. I'll try to get a photo up soon.

An excellent way to end a superb scape :) I have learnt a lot from you doing this, its greatly appreciated! Nice to have some 'quality' shots to use for competitions as you say. Looking forward to the PFK article now! When do you think it'll be out?

Sam
Thanks Sam. Not too sure when it'll be out, I'll ask though and let you know.

George,

Thanks for a great thread ........

I'm sure lots of people have not only learnt from this, but also gained the enthusiasm and inspiration to try their own nano.
Getting the 'Pro' pics done is a well deserved end to this scape and your efforts in maintaining it ..... but I'll still be sorry to see it go.
IMHO: The scale, balance and sense of depth in such a small tank make this still the best nano I've seen.

10/10 matey :good:

Cheers
Al

Thanks Al.

Funny you mention the scale, it's something that I take for granted as I have spent much time with this nano, so I don't really appreciate it. The PFK design team, Rachel and Louis, saw a photo and were shocked when I told them it was 12" long. They assumed it was about 3 or 4 foot.

I've really been inspired to try a nano tank later this year at some point. When i get my breeding cory's out the way i'll have some space to set up and have a go. My thoughts are for a low tech setup though. Just plant ferts, hob filter and cheap and cheerful lighting.

The finished result is looking really good, i'm waiting with great anticipation for the PKF article. :thumbs: :good:

Thanks Al.

The PFK design team, Rachel and Louis, saw a photo and were shocked when I told them it was 12" long. They assumed it was about 3 or 4 foot.

i showed my husband the picture of your nano george and asked him to guess how big it was

he said its about the same size as mine and thats 4 foot :hyper:

i love your nano its amazing

looking forward to your next

sharon

Congratulations on the PFK shoot, George! The tank looks splendid. I'll miss the setup, but I look forward to whatever new designs you have. I wonder if you could create the same appearance of depth and size with a Dutch layout that tiny? Dutch scapes are usually much larger tanks. I imagine that would be a huge challenge, almost impossible. Imagine trying to find enough species with contrasting, yet small enough leaves to not overwhelm the tank size. That would be pretty amazing.

llj :)

The photo shoot with PFK went well today.

Neil Hepworth (photographer) and Jeremy Gay (PFK editorial) turned up and stayed for about two hours.

I was keen to meet Neil as I'm becoming a lot more interested in photography. He is a great guy and I learnt a lot. I am lucky to live locally too so he had longer to shoot than normal, allowing for a variety of shots with different backgrounds, ripple techniques (new to Neil), close-ups, full working shots etc.

FYI Neil uses a Canon 5D - a nice camera! I forget the lenses (except one being a 100mm macro), flashes etc. as we were all too busy chatting.

You can see some of Neil's non-aquarium work here - http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/F08...L+HEPWORTH.html

Jeremy also had a HDD camcorder so there's also some video footage, for the PFK site in the future.

Assuming I get permission from PFK, I can also use Neil photo's in contests/personal use and he has offered to send me a CD with all the shots. I am certainly looking forward to seeing them. I will ask PFK if I can upload some low-res shots to the forum to share with you all.

So, all in all a nice end to this aquascape. I hope to start the new layout this weekend so look out for a new journal.

I hope you've enjoyed this journal. I certainly have. :good:

Thanks for your kind words George - I think Jeremy summed it up though when he said "you can only take pictures as good as the subject you're given". So all credit to you, the tank looked great, it's inspiring taking pictures of such a good set up. I'm certainly looking forward to the next one.

Cheers

Neil

Congratulations on the PFK shoot, George! The tank looks splendid. I'll miss the setup, but I look forward to whatever new designs you have. I wonder if you could create the same appearance of depth and size with a Dutch layout that tiny? Dutch scapes are usually much larger tanks. I imagine that would be a huge challenge, almost impossible. Imagine trying to find enough species with contrasting, yet small enough leaves to not overwhelm the tank size. That would be pretty amazing.

Thanks llj.

Dutch in 2.5 gal!? That's crazy talk!

Not impossible but certainly a challenge, and very high maintenance. One day perhaps.

Thanks for your kind words George - I think Jeremy summed it up though when he said "you can only take pictures as good as the subject you're given". So all credit to you, the tank looked great, it's inspiring taking pictures of such a good set up. I'm certainly looking forward to the next one.

Cheers

Neil
Hey Neil.

Thank you too, and thanks for finding the time to leave feedback on here, it is appreciated.

Jeremy mentioned about you popping in every couple of weeks or so to take "proper" step-by-step photos of the next aquascape. So hopefully I'll see you soon.

Cheers.

Thanks llj.

Dutch in 2.5 gal!? That's crazy talk!

Not impossible but certainly a challenge, and very high maintenance. One day perhaps.

I excel in insanity! :hyper: I dare you. :lol: That would win a competition, and be completely unexpected.

Haha sounds like a plan Llj! Might be my next, although got an idea for re-doing my nano already!

Sam

Thanks Al.

Funny you mention the scale, it's something that I take for granted as I have spent much time with this nano, so I don't really appreciate it. The PFK design team, Rachel and Louis, saw a photo and were shocked when I told them it was 12" long. They assumed it was about 3 or 4 foot.

Heh, what fish did they think they were then? They're some big microrasboras :p

Thanks FKNM.

Thanks Al.

Heh, what fish did they think they were then? They're some big microrasboras :p
:lol:

No idea. I doubt fish ID crossed their minds, they were more interested in how to incorporate the photo into a feature. After all they're designers. :p

Hey Neil.

Thank you too, and thanks for finding the time to leave feedback on here, it is appreciated.

Jeremy mentioned about you popping in every couple of weeks or so to take "proper" step-by-step photos of the next aquascape. So hopefully I'll see you soon.

Cheers.

Yes, absolutely. In the meantime if you could brick up any windows and have some pots of emulsion at the ready that'd be great.
:D

I will hopefully be starting the new aquascape this weekend, so look out for a new journal.

I can't believe how many views this journal has had - no pressure then.....

Hey Neil.

Cheers.

Yes, absolutely. In the meantime if you could brick up any windows and have some pots of emulsion at the ready that'd be great.
:D
:lol: I'll get right onto it. Natural light is over-rated anyway!

Wow, such an amazing tank, and its tiny! :wub: Ive just been reading your PFK articles George, considering ive bought the latest PFK mag down here! :p Terrific stuff, so tempting to convert BACK to FW planted, now thats a complement! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back