Fungal Or Bacterial...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am adding a pic.
I found my betta looking like this yesterday when I put him in a different tank. You couldn't see him very well in the other tank. I added some pimafix to his water. I don't think that is strong enough though. I think he is shedding. I need to know what to do for him.
I know what caused it... neglect...
I have been trying to solve the problem with the 55g and have been sick too. I didn't do his water changes, and I forgot to move his tank away from the window. His water was horrible. I really hope I haven't been so bad that this kills him. He comes to the glass and gives me really ugly looks now. I think he hates me.
Please look at the pic and tell me what would be best to do for him.
Thank you so much!

View attachment 47076

In this pic you can see all the stuff that is coming off of him. I need to know what that is. I don't know if it is the bad stuff or if it is him scales. (or both)
View attachment 47082

He still swims and eats. I know he has fin rot also. He has had that for a while, but I can't get it to clear up. Now we have this on top of it.
He is on my desk now so he will never again be forgotten.
Please let me know what all is wrong with him, and what is the best way to get him better.
Thanks again for helping!

Best thing you can do for him is keep his water really clean and in tip top condition. Hopefully he'll be strong enough to fight whatevers going on with him. He does look in a sorry way. Keep an eye on him, no point adding any chemicals other than melafix til you know what's exactly wrong. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. I am doing partial water changes 2 and 3 times a day right now. I am sucking it out with a turkey baster so I can remove the stuff that is flaking off of him.
If he gets better he will be getting a bigger tank.
He is not shedding that white stuff as much now. That is good. What ever it was... he was trying to eat it. That bothered me.
Should I swap from pimafix to melafix or use both?

Any one that can tell me more? Please...

Thanks for helping!

As far as I know they're safe to use together, but I would stick with just melafix for now. Incidentally I saw a worse looking betta in a lfs today. I said to the woman he'd finrot and whitespot, and he was just hanging at the surface. She said his fins were ragged from the female attacking him and he was just a lazy fish. Hmmm. Think I can spot a sick fish when I see him. Plus he was ina tank with goldfish.

If the white stuff is fluffy that coming off him its columnaris.
How high did the temp raise being near the window.
If the finrot not healing in good water quality there an underlaying problem.

His temp was about 80.
It is sort of fluffy. With it falling off... does that mean that he is getting better?
He looks a little better to me, but hhis fins look really bad and he jerks sometimes. It is like he is trying to shake his head. He doesn't do it a lot, but when he does... he jerks his head one time really hard. It looks like it is painful.

Thanks for helping.

Bless him.
Check his gills over to see if there pale with excess mucas on them, or red and inflamed, though will be hard as he a red colour.
I would try maracyn one and two if he has a bad finrot problem as well.

He looks in a very poor state to me bless him.
Get going with the maracyn one and two if hes not flicking and rubbing.
Is his eyes ok not bulging out.
Does he look thin to you.
Pics can be deceiving at times, is his scales starting to stick out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back