Fluval Edge, No Cycle.....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MarcoPereira said:
Thanks Byron. One question though...would not adding a group of 5 or 6 of whatever overwhelm the system? I mean, would the ammonia not get crazy high all of a sudden? and if so, what would one do to bring it down? I am sure a large WC would do it but at the risk of sounding lazy, I would hate to have to do water changes everyday....
Will look into the pennywort....sounds lovely.

No, we are talking small fish with plants in the tank.  And you are still forgetting about ammonia in acidic water being ammonium which is harmless to fish.

Remember that the aquarium ammonia test kits read both ammonia and ammonium as "ammonia," unless they are very high tech and will distinguish between the two ions.  The API test does not, it reads both as ammonia.  But so long as the pH remains below 7 as you've said it is, there is no danger.

I see, of course...forgot about ammonium. I will research more on where to get these mini fish. Hard to find here.Thank you Byron...updates soon.

One thing I wanted to mention, I see that you don't have your tank completely filled in the one picture. I believe cories need to be able to gulp air occasionally, so leaving the tank a little under-filled is ideal in this situation. But, since it's a Fluval Edge, you might want to be careful if you ever go from keeping the water level where it is now, to filling it to where it is just that little square at the top. I have heard of situations where fish that need to get air have drowned in the Edge type tanks...but I think most people report them figuring it out no problem.

Hope I made sense there.

Thank you, and yes, will keep a gap of air...need it for the frogbit as well...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back