Fishless Cycle Log.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chris, have you tried getting a mature filter media from a clean tank? I got one from someone from craigslist. It helped me cycle my tank overnight....just wondering.

I got some but wasnt very mature .. so just stuck it out the old fashioned way haha.. im hoping im not far off getting the nitrite to drop soon. Im in no major rush as im waiting to move house in about 4 - 6 weeks so wont be adding any fish until i move anyway.

i dont really. I am in the same boat as you.

I am starting with guppies. I used to have guppies when I had a tank 3 years ago and it seemed all lame to keep guppies after some time. Guppy was the last choice on my list.

I dont know what happened, I fell for them again. I am still trying to figure out what else to keep with them. Stocking-wise, my options are limited since I already have 8 babies plus 2 adult guppies in there.

i dont really. I am in the same boat as you.

I am starting with guppies. I used to have guppies when I had a tank 3 years ago and it seemed all lame to keep guppies after some time. Guppy was the last choice on my list.

I dont know what happened, I fell for them again. I am still trying to figure out what else to keep with them. Stocking-wise, my options are limited since I already have 8 babies plus 2 adult guppies in there.

I have a soft spot for guppies aswell :rolleyes: dont know why but pretty sure i cant keep them with angels so there off my list. Ill have to have a read and a think when the time draws near to start stocking my tank.

I never tend to think there's anything particularly wrong with guppies and angels being in the same community tank. I mean, of course the angels will eat the guppy fry when/if the guppies have babies in the tank but that's true of a lot of fish. Its true that angel/tetra tanks have a bit of a different "feel" often in the overall look of the community, compared to a more livebearer community, but I don't think there's anything too terribly wrong. Many angels/tetras/Amazonian environments are more soft/acid compared to many livebearers liking a harder more alkaline environment but with most LFS fish I really don't think that would be much of an issue, but perhaps there are those that would be more picky about that.

~~waterdrop~~

I never tend to think there's anything particularly wrong with guppies and angels being in the same community tank. I mean, of course the angels will eat the guppy fry when/if the guppies have babies in the tank but that's true of a lot of fish. Its true that angel/tetra tanks have a bit of a different "feel" often in the overall look of the community, compared to a more livebearer community, but I don't think there's anything too terribly wrong. Many angels/tetras/Amazonian environments are more soft/acid compared to many livebearers liking a harder more alkaline environment but with most LFS fish I really don't think that would be much of an issue, but perhaps there are those that would be more picky about that.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for the info Waterdrop :)

Day 40 updated

Chris, you sure are not the excitable type! It looks like you've got a couple of double-zero readings there and you've just calmly said "updated." Well, since you had a weird day, the one before and since you still can't decide on pH, I guess we should go another day or two before saying you've reached your qualifying week but this is looking very good!

~~waterdrop~~

Chris, you sure are not the excitable type! It looks like you've got a couple of double-zero readings there and you've just calmly said "updated." Well, since you had a weird day, the one before and since you still can't decide on pH, I guess we should go another day or two before saying you've reached your qualifying week but this is looking very good!

~~waterdrop~~

Sorry not had a very good few days :lol: i am quietly excited :drool:

Maybe things got stirred up in the tank or something? Who knows?

But its a perfect example of the utility of the "qualifying week" idea. Some fishless cyclers would have been off to the store and bought a ton of fish the minute they saw zero nitrite and zero ammonia at 12 hours the way you did, but as you can see, you really have to give it some days after you first see those zeros, in case it decides to bounce around a bit. I'm sure it'll settle back into zeros for good pretty soon. :)

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back