Fishless Cycle Log.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

^_^ nice to know that 13.5ppm of nitrite results from 5ppm of ammonia, explains why it can be off-the-scale at a 12hr test but at 0ppm at 24hours , was always a bit stumped by that

glad your finally processing the ammonia Tropical Chris! welcome to the nitrite spiking stage!! :fun:

Thanks for the replys guys & girls :) had a full drop on ammonia when i tested today so topped upto 3ppm like waterdrop said.

How do i go from here now? do i carry on with the 24 hour tests etc?

Just want to make sure im doing things right

thanks again people.

Yes, usually we do 12s and 24s at this point and if your nitrite keeps hitting zero ppm at 24 hours you should proceed on up to 4ppm, then 5ppm.

~~waterdrop~~

Day 32 updated :)

There has been a climb in p.h is this something to worry about or not?

Also wanted to ask about the Nitrite. What should i expect from this now? will it climb further or stay at this 5.0 level? just want to know what the spike will be so i know when its happening :)

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks guys.

Also wanted to ask about the Nitrite. What should i expect from this now? will it climb further or stay at this 5.0 level? just want to know what the spike will be so i know when its happening :)

Thanks guys.

the A-bacs convert the ammonia to nitrite (and i think I read some of this includes nitric acid?) anyway this causes the pH to drop, the ammonia itself causes pH to increase, so it will tend to go up and down as a result, I did some pH tests before adding ammonia at 24hrs and after adding, and the pH does notably change a bit.

the nitrite should stay off the scale (the API test kit measures up to 5ppm) so it will remain >5ppm until your N-bacs grow to a sufficient amount to start processing the nitrites, this part is usually the longest part of the cycling process, and it happens quite suddenly

Thanks guys.

the A-bacs convert the ammonia to nitrite (and i think I read some of this includes nitric acid?) anyway this causes the pH to drop, the ammonia itself causes pH to increase, so it will tend to go up and down as a result, I did some pH tests before adding ammonia at 24hrs and after adding, and the pH does notably change a bit.

the nitrite should stay off the scale (the API test kit measures up to 5ppm) so it will remain >5ppm until your N-bacs grow to a sufficient amount to start processing the nitrites, this part is usually the longest part of the cycling process, and it happens quite suddenly

Cheers for clearing some of that up :)

yes, agree with yaninullah's post except its nitrates(NO3) that have nitric acid as a component, not nitrite(NO2.)

~~waterdrop~~

Day 35 updated.

Going to start testing on 12 and 24 hours now.. should have started a few days ago but was waiting on my shifts to change at work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back