Fish That Can Live In An Unheated Tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well, not many. Im sure Guppies wouldnt mind a tank in the mid 70's. But other than that, native Midwestern US fish. Also, you need a big tank for Midwestern fish, and a big tank for Goldfish.

Actually there are quiet a few species of fish that can live in an unheated aquarium. I just read in one of my tropical fish hobbyist magazines about a few species, I'll post them up when I find that magazine.

guppies do well in cooler temperatures i keep mine at 68 f - 70 f when Kept at these conditions i find them to be moore hardier and less prone to diseases .
How long have you kept them in there?

Also, CAE's will survive at room temp, but they are evil fish and you can only really keep 1. With no other fish...

Found the magazine. Tropical fish hobbyist, August 2007 issue for anybody who would like to verify if you don't believe me.

Articles name: A subtropical Community.

Page # 110

Just taking the names only from the article.

The fish that may be kept in a subtropical community tank should be kept at a minimum of 64F (18C), Rosy barbs, green barbs, white cloud mountain minnows, golden dwarf barbs, dwarf mosquitofish, Variatus platy, spanish killifish, danios, Paradise fish, black-bannded sunfish, hong kong pleco (aka hillstream loach), dragon goby, and the very rarely seen freshwater blenny.

All of these fish can be kept within a subtropical community tank from 18-22C or 64-72F.

there not evil..
ive kept it for about 8months..
i have two goldfish with it..
Just wait, they can turn nasty very suddenly, even after a couple of years. Can happen at any time really.
Few people do seem to get lucky, personally I wouldn't count on that and I'd rehome the fish.

Could do, but not overnight. Could come home to a goldfish missing an eye or two though. They tend to just constantly harras and suck at the slime coat of any fish with a decent sized body, especially slow moving fish.

guppies do well in cooler temperatures i keep mine at 68 f - 70 f when Kept at these conditions i find them to be moore hardier and less prone to diseases .
How long have you kept them in there?

Also, CAE's will survive at room temp, but they are evil fish and you can only really keep 1. With no other fish...
SINCE THAY WERE BORN THE highest I HAVE kEPT THEM IS 74F

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned. How about a bowfin? They should be fine in those temps although they are greatly benefited by being wintered over (dropping the temp of the tank to simulate winter). If this is not done, they seem to be less active. They also need a fairly large tank.

UP DATE : op here, :) I now have 6 fancy gold fish in a 75 gallon tank, 1 ryukin, 1red capped oranda, 2 blue oranda's, 2 very cute lion heads, 6 white clouds, and 6 lepoard danios. the lepoard danios will be moving out and i will be adding a few more white clouds to a school of about 15, and possibly one more fancy if I find somthing special.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back