Fish That Can Live In An Unheated Tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Acipenser

Reaction score
I know about gold fish and white clouds and that danios are hardy but what else can live in a unheated tank in a room that remains around fluctuates between 69 and 75 deggrees ?

Well, not many. Im sure Guppies wouldnt mind a tank in the mid 70's. But other than that, native Midwestern US fish. Also, you need a big tank for Midwestern fish, and a big tank for Goldfish.

I have a 25 gallon with 2 gold fish a few lepoard danios and a few white clouds, I want to upgrade it to a 55 gallon soon, and add some more white clouds to about 20, was hoping i could add a cray fish as long as it leaves my gold fish alone .

Rosey minnows. Mine seem to be mostly bottom-dwelling, as opposed to white clouds and danios, so they'll complement each other well in a tank. They're sold as feeders more often than pets, which is where mine came from.

There's also some hillstream loaches that come from coolwater streams.

When I was tossing around the idea of having a coldwater setup myself, these were on my shortlist.

bitterlings
flagfishes
dojo/weather loaches

My geography is rubbish im afraid so not too sure on seasonal temp changes. depending on the ambiant temp, of where you are living you may be able to keep some tropicals still.

during the summer (if you can say the uk has a summer) the heaters in my tanks get turned off as the ambiant temp in the room and the water in the tank stay at 24c in some cases my room can get to 30+ and im looking to cool the tank down.

it may be a case of where you live u may be able to run a tank without heaters dependant on the
temp ratio you have between 75f and 60f if it is more often 75f region then there are a few tropicals that are happy in that temp and droping temp down a little shouldnt be too bad for them so long as it isnt a sudden drop / incrase.

if the fish tank is in a room where people are in alot and have tv's hi-fi's computers etc etc that are on all these devices emit a heat scource and heat the room up a little too. as well as your central heating during the winter months. you could try if bored one day to turn the heting off on your tank and monitor the temp each hour to see what it does.

you may get away with no heating during the day and heater on timer to come on at night. if your still looking to keep some tropicals.
Scott

Peppered corydoras Corydoras paleatus.
Rosy barb Puntius conchonius.
Buenos Aires tetra Hyphessobrycon anisitsi.
Bloodfisn tetra Aphyocharax anisitsi.
A lot of the Garra species.

As suggested, hillstream loaches too, though they have other specific requirements that you should research if your interested :).

Hi Acipenser :)

Have you considered corydoras? There are many cory species that would do fine in that temperature range.

Just to name a few, among the more readily available species, are C. aeneus (bronze or albino) C. paleatus, C. panda. All are lively and active and are good citizens of any peaceful community tank.

If you can raise the lower end of the temperature range just a couple of degrees, it would make the environment comfortable for many other lovely species of corys too.

Well, not many. Im sure Guppies wouldnt mind a tank in the mid 70's. But other than that, native Midwestern US fish. Also, you need a big tank for Midwestern fish, and a big tank for Goldfish.

Since when midwestern fish need big tank? You don't know about native fishes...

There are tons of native species that can live in 20gal more than gamefish. Darters, scuplins, mudminnows, shiners, chubs, dace, minnows, stoneroller, topminnows, killifish, mosquitofish, sticklebacks, dwarf sunfish, pirate perch, madtoms and trout-perch are perfect for 20 gal tanks.

Red rosy minnows are another good fish for small tanks. Goodeids likes their water cool.

Since when midwestern fish need big tank? You don't know about native fishes...

There are tons of native species that can live in 20gal more than gamefish. Darters, scuplins, mudminnows, shiners, chubs, dace, minnows, stoneroller, topminnows, killifish, mosquitofish, sticklebacks, dwarf sunfish, pirate perch, madtoms and trout-perch are perfect for 20 gal tanks.

Red rosy minnows are another good fish for small tanks. Goodeids likes their water cool.

Brilliant suggestions.
I've got a Central Mudminnow in a 25 gallon; beautiful fish which max out at 4 inches; being torpedo-shaped, not so bad.
I'm always surprised so few people conside native fish of that type for cool-water tanks.
But then again, I'd never heard of them until I dug my little guy out of a mudpuddle in a friend's ditch...

There is an article on this in this months Practical Fishkeeping (UK)

it says u can keep rosey barbs in cold water ???

There is an article on this in this months Practical Fishkeeping (UK)

it says u can keep rosey barbs in cold water ???
Not read it, but yes you can :good:. Some people keep them outdoors in summer, even here in Scotland, along with danios.

Most reactions

trending

Back