Fish That Can Live In An Unheated Tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Another group that in general tolerates quite cool water is the goodeids. There are exceptions but most will do fine at goldfish temperatures. All of mine are kept in unheated tanks for their health. They seem to do better when the temperature moves around somewhat. A very nice but very small fish that does well in cool, not cold, water is heterandria formosa.

I know about gold fish and white clouds and that danios are hardy but what else can live in a unheated tank in a room that remains around between 69 and 75 deggrees ?
all livebearers and many tropical fish can live in tanks between 69 and 75 deggrees.

Well, not many. Im sure Guppies wouldnt mind a tank in the mid 70's. But other than that, native Midwestern US fish. Also, you need a big tank for Midwestern fish, and a big tank for Goldfish.

NAWT TRUE! well nawt true for 1 type i kno of anyways. mosquito fish. theyre tiny liveberarers, depending on type. mine r gambusia affinis, and the biggest they grow is 1.5 in 4 female, and males 1 in. i believe u can find em in the midwestern us, like texas and such. i hav two in a 10 gal, no heater. im nawt sure if theyre tropicals or nawt, but even in the winter my house stays about 70ish degrees. thats wut i suggest. theyre very small active fish, but at the pet stores theyre commonly sold as feeder fish :-( wahhh. but theyre real cuties! :) -heart :wub: , ally86ozzy

Get weather/dojo loach/es! They're awesome and their temperature is around 77! :D They can live in tropical tanks but in coldwater, its more likely to live longer. :D

guppies do well in cooler temperatures i keep mine at 68 f - 70 f when Kept at these conditions i find them to be moore hardier and less prone to diseases .

I f you have goldfish with any fish like guppies, white clouds, danios, rosy barbs they will be eaten eventually no matter how peacful the goldfish seems towards them garanteed.

I f you have goldfish with any fish like guppies, white clouds, danios, rosy barbs they will be eaten eventually no matter how peacful the goldfish seems towards them garanteed.

That's full of rubbish about goldfish eat rosy barbs as rosy barbs are too big to be eaten by fullgrown goldfish as the barbs can reach more than 5 inch long. Please read carefully the first third post that he's probably not keeping goldfish with minnows and danios. Fancy goldfish can't catch danios and healthy minnows but maybe an unlucky guppy.

all livebearers and many tropical fish can live in tanks between 69 and 75 deggrees.
That "all livebearers" part really, really isn't true :blink: .

NAWT TRUE! well nawt true for 1 type i kno of anyways. mosquito fish. theyre tiny liveberarers, depending on type. mine r gambusia affinis, and the biggest they grow is 1.5 in 4 female, and males 1 in. i believe u can find em in the midwestern us, like texas and such. i hav two in a 10 gal, no heater. im nawt sure if theyre tropicals or nawt, but even in the winter my house stays about 70ish degrees. thats wut i suggest. theyre very small active fish, but at the pet stores theyre commonly sold as feeder fish :-( wahhh. but theyre real cuties! :) -heart :wub: , ally86ozzy
They can get a little bigger than that, maybe you have a different species, or maybe it just depends on the population of fish...but I've seen them bigger than that. The only thing I don't like about them is apparently they are pretty aggressive. I've never kept them myself to see if they are though.

That "all livebearers" part really, really isn't true :blink: .

They can get a little bigger than that, maybe you have a different species, or maybe it just depends on the population of fish...but I've seen them bigger than that. The only thing I don't like about them is apparently they are pretty aggressive. I've never kept them myself to see if they are though.

Actually fish48 is right, all livebearers do well between 69 to 75 degrees, it will slow their breeding and live longer instead of burn out quickly.

Mosquitofish sizes are varied in different populations. 1.5 inch long sounds right for average mosquitofish, and its possible that her female is just young. But few huge females are found. There is one population that the females are smaller than normal females and the same population's males are even smaller! (.5 inch long) thanks to the plant factory dump the chemicals in the river cause the mosquitofish mature early.

That's full of rubbish about goldfish eat rosy barbs as rosy barbs are too big to be eaten by fullgrown goldfish as the barbs can reach more than 5 inch long. Please read carefully the first third post that he's probably not keeping goldfish with minnows and danios. Fancy goldfish can't catch danios and healthy minnows but maybe an unlucky guppy.

sorry i presumed that rosy barbs were the same size if they get that big you right :blush: . My fancy goldfish caught and ate 2 minnows at night which were very healthy and quick.

I have a 25 gallon with 2 gold fish a few lepoard danios and a few white clouds, I want to upgrade it to a 55 gallon soon, and add some more white clouds to about 20, was hoping i could add a cray fish as long as it leaves my gold fish alone .

He is keeping them together

Actually fish48 is right, all livebearers do well between 69 to 75 degrees, it will slow their breeding and live longer instead of burn out quickly.
Are you seriously saying that about all livebearers?
Or do you just mean guppies, platies, mollies, mosquito fish etc...

Because all livebearers really don't do well between those temperatures.

so which are the livebearers that Won't live live between 69 to 75 degrees.

Loads of species, some even prefer slightly higher temperatures than regular community fish. Lot's of different fish are livebearers...from all over the world in many different climates.
While things like guppies can live in cooler temperatures and thrive because they are hardy and their range covers subtropical areas, this really isn't the case for all livebearers. So many are found in places where the temperature is quite a bit above 75* for most of the year....why keep them in cooler temperatures?

Those fish all do about as good in cooler water as most other tropical community fish do - they can survive cooler temperatures, but year round it can cause issues...which is why people nowadays keep tanks at warmer temperatures than they used to, it makes the fish easier to look after.

If your going to recommend 'all livebearers' for unheated tanks, you might as well recommend all the common tropical community fish ;).

Oh, guppies. Beautiful fish. Just make sure you acclimatize them for about 5 minutes or they'll stress out. (Stress Coat conditioner, too;))

It appeared that you don't know All of livebearing species.....all livebearers do well between 69 to 75 degrees which is your average room temp, why you made it into big deal? You just don't know the species. If so name one species that don't do well at room temp...come on tell me what's one that don't do well at 69-75 degrees. Fish48 is expert on livebearers, trust me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back