Fighting Angels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi there :)

How many angels do you have, how big is your tank and how is it decorated? How long have you had the angels?

How many angels do you have, how big is your tank and how is it decorated? How long have you had the angels?

I have 4

I have 4 angels in a 39 gal tank

My advice would be to return the angelfish. This is a shoaling species, and minimum five or six can work, but you need a much larger tank, at least a 4-foot. Even then, there can be problems. And if a spawning should occur, the other angelfish might get badly beaten up if not removed.

Males are very territorial, like all cichlids, so this is just normal behaviour.

describe in DETAIL how they are "fighting"

are they being injured?....are fins getting nipped?....etc etc?

does it look like they are "kissing" each other in an aggressive way?.....that is a sign they are getting ready to breed and its not fighting at all

A 39g tank is still too small for these angelfish. If you have a much larger tank available, fine, otherwise it is not going to work long-term.

This video may help, it shows how angelfish normally interact. The pushing and "kissing" here has nothing to do with spawning, just interactions. But you need a larger group to ensure no one is picked on, and a larger space.

Wow that would be awesome! How well I see the eggs. Do they float?

AA534144-83EE-4C1D-A2B6-BD9BBB558043.jpeg
Can you tell me what’s wrong with my angels tale?

It is not Ich (aka whitespot).

It looks like finrot that is caused by a bacterial infection. The anal (bottom) fin has excess mucous on it, (the white stuff on the edge of the fin), and the dorsal (top) fin is clamped up (not open fully).

Check the water quality in the tank and tell us what the ammonia, nitrite & nitrate readings are.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the tank. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back