Fighting Angels

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

If the water quality is good and there is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and less than 30ppm nitrate then it will need treating.

Try to find a medication with Methylene Blue in or use a broad spectrum medication that treats fungus and bacteria.

Try to treat the fish in a separate tank so the medication doesn't affect the filter.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level.

There is a Calculator in the "How To Tips" tab of the forum that will convert litres to US or British gallons.

Remove carbon from filter before treating or the carbon will absorb the medication.

Before treating the tank, wipe the inside of the glass, do a 75% water change, and complete gravel clean.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Thank you so much for your help. I’m a beginner at this. I do love it. I appreciate your help. Have a good day.

How many anglefish can I put in a 100 gal tank?

This question is not really easy to answer. Experienced aquarists always do what is best for the fish species, by which I mean that you want to provide the best environment whatever that may entail, rather than seeing how many fish. Assuming this 100g tank is at least 4 feet in length, or perhaps 5 feet (better, but 4 feet is absolute minimum), and at least 2 feet in height...you want a group of no less than five. The length is critical to their natural territoriality, and the height is needed so a fish with an 8-inch vertical fin span can move gracefully. If this were me, I would have seven. No other upper fish, but a group of cories would be nice; at least 15 up to 30 or 40. Lots of chunks of wood, and branches in the upper level would be natural to these fish.

Remember that as soon as you have a shoal of angelfish, you will inevitably have male and female and that means a pair will probably form and spawn; there could be two or three pairs. If this occurs, the danger is then that the pair, or the other fish, may have to be removed to avoid severe aggression which can easily lead to death. Not all males are this aggressively territorial, but it is certainly likely.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back