Fighter with other fish??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

image_preview3.jpg

I would take that purple plant out it will most likely melt and cause a mess in your tank

I'm looking at getting plants that may float on top but I'm not sure I like the messy look to it.
Nothing messy about it. I doubt there are many small fish that wouldn't like that cover

CFueSFO.jpg

PS
Wait till I introduce you to blackwater, oh wait I just did.

Bubbles are not a problem. As for floating plants, I do not have any tanks without floating plants, I consider them essential. They provide "shelter" for all fish either directly (some fish, esp fry, will spend most of their time among floating plants) or by providing some shade from the tank light. Fish "expect" something above them. Water Sprite is in my view the nicest floating plant.

I got told when I first set up my tank that the light was on too much. I would turn it on at 7am and turn it off at 6 when I came home -this is when I had no fish, just plants. I have a timer but not using it at the moment. Since I have had fish I turn it on at 6pm and leave it on until 10-11:00 at night. Is that enough time for the plants?

I would take that purple plant out it will most likely melt and cause a mess in your tank
Why would it melt??
Is that what that plant is called, blackwater?? It's coming up with other things -does it have another name?

Last edited:
Blackwater is water conditions not a plant. In general terms, it is a tank with lots of wood and leaves which leach a brown colour into the water.

I don't know what the purple plant is but I know that a lot of plants sold by fish shops are not aquatic plants and they die when put in a tank. NickAu can confirm if the purple plant is one of these.

Blackwater is water conditions not a plant. In general terms, it is a tank with lots of wood and leaves which leach a brown colour into the water.

I don't know what the purple plant is but I know that a lot of plants sold by fish shops are not aquatic plants and they die when put in a tank. NickAu can confirm if the purple plant is one of these.

I did read up a little on that earlier today. I dont know if I want that type of tank at the moment, maybe in the future.

If that's true about the purple plant (purple temple) that's sad because it looks so pretty in the tank.

I got told when I first set up my tank that the light was on too much. I would turn it on at 7am and turn it off at 6 when I came home -this is when I had no fish, just plants. I have a timer but not using it at the moment. Since I have had fish I turn it on at 6pm and leave it on until 10-11:00 at night. Is that enough time for the plants?

It is always better to have the overhead aquarium light on for the same period each 24 hours. This is important for both fish and plants, because it replicates what occurs in all natural habitats and it allows the fish's internal "Clock" to function properly. This clock is what we call the circadian rhythm, and all animals including humans have it. I won't go into all that, you can look it up. But having the same period of "light" each 245 hours is important. A period of several hours of total and complete darkness (meaning no ambient room lighting) is also crucial.

I would set the tank light to be on for a period of around 7-8 hours. It can be any part of the day, just so long as there is a continuous period of several hours of total darkness. The rest of the time, when there may be ambient light in the room but not the light on the fish tank itself, is fine provided there is that period of total darkness. As an example, the tank light could come on at 3 pm, and go off at 10 or 11 pm, keeping in mind the next paragraph.

There also needs to be ambient light in the room when the light on the tank comes on and goes out. This avoids stressing the fish with sudden light or sudden dark. An hour is sufficient; so when the tank light goes out, say at 10 pm, the room lights must remain on for an hour afterwards to allow the fish to acclimatize to the light difference.

Byron.

It is always better to have the overhead aquarium light on for the same period each 24 hours. This is important for both fish and plants, because it replicates what occurs in all natural habitats and it allows the fish's internal "Clock" to function properly. This clock is what we call the circadian rhythm, and all animals including humans have it. I won't go into all that, you can look it up. But having the same period of "light" each 245 hours is important. A period of several hours of total and complete darkness (meaning no ambient room lighting) is also crucial.

I would set the tank light to be on for a period of around 7-8 hours. It can be any part of the day, just so long as there is a continuous period of several hours of total darkness. The rest of the time, when there may be ambient light in the room but not the light on the fish tank itself, is fine provided there is that period of total darkness. As an example, the tank light could come on at 3 pm, and go off at 10 or 11 pm, keeping in mind the next paragraph.

There also needs to be ambient light in the room when the light on the tank comes on and goes out. This avoids stressing the fish with sudden light or sudden dark. An hour is sufficient; so when the tank light goes out, say at 10 pm, the room lights must remain on for an hour afterwards to allow the fish to acclimatize to the light difference.

Byron.
Oh wow so much more to think about. I didnt know all this and I don't feel I'm very good with researching either. I try to research but yeah not very good! Interesting about the ambient light, it makes sense!!

Sorry I don't know how to split up the message the way you do. I've tried but it doesn't work.

I have a timer but I think it's a 12hr timer. Maybe I'll look at getting a different one

Last edited:
Hello all!

Let's add my 2 cents here ;)

There is lot's of great advice already given. I don't know why, but people got carried away recommending the stocking for that nano tank. It is only suitable for very small (nano) fish (or a single betta) and neither the neon tetra nor the panda cory fall into that class. You were very right to wonder about that stocking option given. Moreover you got gravel as substrate, which is not recommended for cory. They life a much happier live on sand.

If you need well researched info on any fish species look here: seriouslyfish.com (Note: the space recommendations given there are the absolute minimum, sometimes even too small for my personal taste)

I have a timer but I think it's a 12hr timer. Maybe I'll look at getting a different one

You can get timers intended for table lamps that can be set to come on and go off at any time during each 24 hour period, so that is all you need. Usually sold in hardware, home improvement and similar stores.

I'm trying to research about more fish that go with neons
You can get timers intended for table lamps that can be set to come on and go off at any time during each 24 hour period, so that is all you need. Usually sold in hardware, home improvement and similar stores.

I just got a timer from a friend and he helped me set it up!! It's so cool!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back