Fighter with other fish??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Woody781

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had put a fighter in with any other fish before and how did it go?? I have a 34L tank with 6 Neon Tetras and 2 Borneo Catfish. A friend came over last night to visit and was very sceptical that my other fish would survive with a fighter and if it was possible I would possibly need more plants. A picture of my tank is below.

Any opinions or advice on more needing more plants before I get my fighter or will my other fish survive with a fighter?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 354
I think you're pushing the limits of your little tank (which is adorable by the way) with those two catfish!
And I would NOT add a beta. It's not fair to the beta, nor is it fair to the other fish that will be very stressed out by his presence.

A betta is not compatible with the catfish.
The catfish, indeed most hillstream loach-type fish, need fast flowing cool water while bettas need slow moving warmer water.

I agree with previous members posts. Male Betta are not compatible with other fish because they are not strictly speaking a community fish species. I know some try it and say it works, but individual fish may behave contrary to the norm for the species, or down the road the fish may change its attitude significantly and become a real problem. Betta deserve their own space.

A Betta may take a dislike to other fish; I had one that ate a neon tetra in seconds (obviously long ago, before I learned better). But small fish like tetras can also stress out the Betta. So you have the real possibility of either or both problems, if the respective fish adhere to the normal behaviours for their respective species.

Essjay mentions another very important issue...water current. The Borneo catfish need some water current, along with smooth rock (river rock works very well for this). Neons are the exact opposite...slow calm water.

The reason the neons are "hiding" among the plants is that they do not appreciate overhead light. They come from very dim waters, and will huddle around logs, branches, plants, or under floating plants.

Byron.

Some have gotten along some haven't for me. I've got a male plakat with kuhli loaches , they get along perfectly.

I've also got bristle nose plecos with female bettas, they also get along until feeding time, which is when the bettas try eating the pleco's veggies and algae wafers. Now they get fed after lights out.

My very first betta... poor boy. I tried keeping him with serpae tetras, and they nipped his rays to the point of not being much of a crown tail anymore. He got his own tank after that.

I've tried keeping another male plakat with corydoras in a planted 36gal. He was a jerk and kept picking at the corydoras to the point of me moving them to a different tank.

I also made the mistake of trying to keep male guppies with a female betta (long time ago). She torn off their tails and killed them. Live and learn I suppose.

So I'd say it depends on the individual betta, what species you are trying to keep with them, and also cover and tank size. I think bottom feeders are the way to go if you wish to keep others with bettas. This way there is next to no chance of fin nipping and they generally won't be in the same zone as the betta.

I think you're pushing the limits of your little tank (which is adorable by the way) with those two catfish!
And I would NOT add a beta. It's not fair to the beta, nor is it fair to the other fish that will be very stressed out by his presence.

I'm a novice so why am I pushing my limits with my catfish?? And why is it not fair to the beta -tell me more!!

I told the pet shop I wanted catfish and a beta. They suggested the tetras and also 2 catfish rather than one. I'm a novice, I don't really know what I'm doing that's why I'm asking advice from the pet shop and other people like on here. What do you suggest??

Last edited:
Some have gotten along some haven't for me. I've got a male plakat with kuhli loaches , they get along perfectly.

I've also got bristle nose plecos with female bettas, they also get along until feeding time, which is when the bettas try eating the pleco's veggies and algae wafers. Now they get fed after lights out.

My very first betta... poor boy. I tried keeping him with serpae tetras, and they nipped his rays to the point of not being much of a crown tail anymore. He got his own tank after that.

I've tried keeping another male plakat with corydoras in a planted 36gal. He was a jerk and kept picking at the corydoras to the point of me moving them to a different tank.

I also made the mistake of trying to keep male guppies with a female betta (long time ago). She torn off their tails and killed them. Live and learn I suppose.

So I'd say it depends on the individual betta, what species you are trying to keep with them, and also cover and tank size. I think bottom feeders are the way to go if you wish to keep others with bettas. This way there is next to no chance of fin nipping and they generally won't be in the same zone as the betta.
Thanks for the feedback!! Do you think I need more plant coverage for the other fish if I do add a beta?? And any recommendations to what?? My plants aren't doing so well, I think the baby tears are dying from the roots up...

Tetras and Bettas do not make good tank mates. Some bettas are fine with tank mates some are not, the type of tank mate is irrelevant even Malaysian Trumpet snails will be attacked and eaten, I had a Crown tail male that killed a BN pleco, heck the little bugger even tried to attack me if I got too close to his tank LOL.

Tetras and Bettas do not make good tank mates. Some bettas are fine with tank mates some are not, the type of tank mate is irrelevant even Malaysian Trumpet snails will be attacked and eaten, I had a Crown tail male that killed a BN pleco, heck the little bugger even tried to attack me if I got too close to his tank LOL.

Oh that doesn't make me happy!! Actually it makes me a little annoyed. I was only going to have a beta and a few catfish. It took my water ages to be ready for fish and I was so excited I bought the tetras after the pet shop lady suggested it. Grr so it really won't work?? What fish possibly might work with betas?? What to do now??

I agree with previous members posts. Male Betta are not compatible with other fish because they are not strictly speaking a community fish species. I know some try it and say it works, but individual fish may behave contrary to the norm for the species, or down the road the fish may change its attitude significantly and become a real problem. Betta deserve their own space.

A Betta may take a dislike to other fish; I had one that ate a neon tetra in seconds (obviously long ago, before I learned better). But small fish like tetras can also stress out the Betta. So you have the real possibility of either or both problems, if the respective fish adhere to the normal behaviours for their respective species.

Essjay mentions another very important issue...water current. The Borneo catfish need some water current, along with smooth rock (river rock works very well for this). Neons are the exact opposite...slow calm water.

The reason the neons are "hiding" among the plants is that they do not appreciate overhead light. They come from very dim waters, and will huddle around logs, branches, plants, or under floating plants.

Byron.

I only have the light on for a few hours at night and I have noticed the Neon tetras seem happier without the light.

Would another type of catfish work better?? Should I take the Borneo back to the pet shop??

I would return the tetras and hill stream loaches, your tank is too small for them and they are not compatible, if the current isnt strong enough your loaches will be suffering from lack of oxygen. Add a few more plants and get a nice Betta and maybe a few assassin snails.

I would return the tetras and hill stream loaches, your tank is too small for them and they are not compatible, if the current isnt strong enough your loaches will be suffering from lack of oxygen. Add a few more plants and get a nice Betta and maybe a few assassin snails.

Would the pet shop take them back??

What plants would you suggest?? I originally wanted a green covering for the back wall but the baby tears aren't doing the job and also possibly dying. I have flourish tabs in my tank but it didn't change the plants much with it!

Last edited:
Would the pet shop take them back??
They should, remind them they miss-led you when they sold them to you.

If you are getting a Betta remember they prefer lower light.

You could put 2 or 3 stems of Blue Stricta along the back or some Swords.

Maybe a few Crypts and another Anubias or 2,

Add a bit of Water sprite as the floating plant and you are set to go.

The Blue Stricta and Crypts will love the root tabs,

You know the first thing I would do is paint the back of the tank black, Its easy, all you need is a small sample pot of water based mat black and a small paint brush or roller, It wont cost more than about $10.

I'm a novice so why am I pushing my limits with my catfish?? And why is it not fair to the beta -tell me more!!
I believe they will get too big for the size of your tank which is under 10 gallons.
Not to mention the current factor...as others have explained.
Also the beta, as Byron explained beautifully is a solitary fish and doesn't like being with others. Even if you get a timid one and he choses not to murder the others ....his presence will stress out the other fish and visa versa.
That leads to unhealthy fish that simply will not live as long as they should.
I know there are people that have done this and they are (hopefully) very experienced and have larger tanks with heavy coverage where the fish can hide and feel safe.

I told the pet shop
Sadly we can't really ask anything from the pet shops as they just want to sell things.
Also most employees are kids that just don't know (or adults that don't either).
Always come here or another forum or just google.

I don't really know what I'm doing that's why I'm asking advice from the pet shop and other people like on here
And kudos to you for taking the steps to do right by your fish!

*****Also, we need to know what your water parameters are so we know what fish will and won't work for you.
PH, GH, KH, ammonia, chlorine, nitrate, nitrite*****

....oh and yes, take those sucker fish back!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back