FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It seems to be a common misconception that a tank needs a "centerpiece fish". Imho the best tanks are build around one favourite species in suitable numbers which allow for natural behaviour (for cichlids it might be a breeding pair only, for shoals the number should be as high as possible depending on tank size). Additional species should ideally not interfere with this and use a different niche in the tank. This means with smallish tanks one will end up with 1-3 species max. And what is small depends on the size of the fish in question, also a 250 gal tank can be smallish if going for large fish.

@Kaden Doke
Referring to your original question: Most (all) LFS can order fish and it is also possible to order fish over the internet.

Last edited:
What would be a easy care center peice fish for my 29 gal.

Sometimes it is worth waiting for fish to be available locally (referring to your earlier comment on Honey Gourami not available). I've done this. Of some will order, as hobby5 mentioned.

As for centrepiece fish, this is a question often asked and my first response is that "centrepiece" fish in smaller tanks can be a problem. And anything under around 4 feet (120 cm) in length is "smaller tank." But there are options, especially for a 29g which presumably is 30 inches (45 cm) in length.

Mention hasn't been made in this thread of your water parameters. If they are on the soft to moderately soft side, you will have many more options. Hobby5's mention of shoaling fish tends to be my thinking too. But you could build a tank around a small gourami species (most prefer small groups with a mix of gender), or one of the dwarf neotropic cichlids. This is very general, there can be issues with any of these.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back