Doing it all wrong already - Help put me right

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

haven't u read?! the fish dyed.

Haven't you read that there are still other fish in an uncyled tank? Just because the Molly was the only one to show symptons so far doesn't mean the others don't need looking after.

That LFS @tombomb posted is reputed to be good and will probably take back teh rest of your fish if you take them with you and explain the situation a little. Don't expect money back though.

Also, you asked earlier whether adding 'cycled water' would help. Well, no. There are no good bacteria in the tank's water so 'cycled water' is just the same as water out of the tap but with a higher level of nitrAtes. Also, the fish will soon produce more ammonia and you'll have the same problem.

Is your tank 30 litres? I didn't notice that before. That's about 8 (US) gallons I believe and won't be suitable for adult mollies or the danio. You can keep the platy though if you want to keep cycling with fish. In a month or so, you can think about adding a couple more fish, when the tank is stable but I would start a new thread asking for some suggestions like someone mentioned earlier so you know what you are getting is suitable.

Do you know what sex the platy is?

I have a 40 gallon and a new (just filled yesterday) 55 gallon. I was wondering if it would help if I took one of the cotton filter screens (time to change anyway) from the 40 gallon and put it in my 55.

Just kind of a thought. My 40 has 3 goldfish, 2 rosey reds, 1 pleco, and a painted turtle.

Without starting on how suitable / unsuitable goldfish are for that aquarium, unless you need to move fish to the new tank immediately, I'd be patient and let the new tank cycle normally. Why risk starting a mini cycle in the established tank if you don't need to?

:blink:

That shop is where I got all my stuff from, I live in Wheatley funnily enough!!! They are the Danio culprits.....plus wouldn't or couldn't give me the media or gravel.
Otherwise they are very nice and helpful, but the difference is thanks to you guys I know a little bit more about what I am asking for.

The water has been changed twice now, once with a third and once with a quarter. Two real plants are in to try and use the ammonia faster, an Elodea Densa and a Cabomba aquatica, she said they were hardy...The other fish seem so much happier if a little hungry, they are trying to eat everything.

James Pond has been given a decent funeral in the proper manner by my 9 year old. RIP'd, prayed for, buried with a small parcel of fish flakes (the ones he preferred!!), wrapped in rose petals in a small but very smart hay fever spray box coffin, and his grave strewn with flowers. A suitable and honourable end for a fish who with a name like that has died a hero by saving his colleagues by his demise. That's how we spared the late night tears a bit. James Pond II will manifest himself when the tank has cycled.

How does the anti chlorine stuff work? Do you need to leave it to do its stuff with the tap water for a while before putting it in the tank. I have been putting the mixture straight in and I wondered...

Also some points in the booklet I have been given -

"The complete guide for helping you in fishkeeping"
published by RENA
advert by
AQUARIAN.com

page 4 - just says "Fill the aquarium with water" - no mention of anti chlorine products there!

page 17 - under caring for the aquarium - daily checklist page
point 7 - "Every month. Gently clean the filter media with running water - ILLUSTRATION OF MEDIA UNDER A RUNNING TAP - Excellent method of killing your bacteria and needing lots more Rena products presumably
point 9 - Change filter media approx every 3 months - (give the book it's due it does give a page ref here to another page which tells you more clearly about bacteria and cycling) but the checklist page is where a beginner like me will be.

Well there you are, I can rant too...I don't enjoy killing fish...I hope now I won't.

:huh:
No sorry don't know sex of Platy. Can't see anything there, just two fins and a bott.

frannyscho said:
How does the anti chlorine stuff work? Do you need to leave it to do its stuff with the tap water for a while before putting it in the tank. I have been putting the mixture straight in and I wondered...

Also some points in the booklet I have been given -

"The complete guide for helping you in fishkeeping"
published by RENA
advert by
AQUARIAN.com

page 4 - just says "Fill the aquarium with water" - no mention of anti chlorine products there!

page 17 - under caring for the aquarium - daily checklist page
point 7 - "Every month. Gently clean the filter media with running water - ILLUSTRATION OF MEDIA UNDER A RUNNING TAP - Excellent method of killing your bacteria and needing lots more Rena products presumably
point 9 - Change filter media approx every 3 months - (give the book it's due it does give a page ref here to another page which tells you more clearly about bacteria and cycling) but the checklist page is where a beginner like me will be.

Well there you are, I can rant too...I don't enjoy killing fish...I hope now I won't.
Yep – the water conditioner (which dechlorinates the water) can be added directly to the tank before putting in the new tap water – or if you use a bucket to add the new tap water, just add it to the bucket and give it a quick stir. It doesn’t need to stand or anything.

That's really bad advice given there in that Rena booklet. You really do not need to change any of the sponges as long as they are fine and not falling apart. And when changing anything, remember to not change everything in one go. Wash under siphoned tap water only - but it seems like you know all of that by now :)

That shop is where I got all my stuff from

:crazy:

In that case, just do a search for Aquariums on Yell.com and see what else you can find close to home.

I suppose some branches are better than others. :sad:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=13664 - shows how to sex platies. Also applies to mollies (and many other livebearers).

It's a shame about the LFS. Are there no others in your area BTW? I mean if you still want to offload some of the fish. Most LFSs won't refuse if you take them there bagged and say 'here, their yours'. :p

Anyway, it sounds like you have things under control now :) Keep it up.

:*
She's a girl Platy then, and skinny.
Might see if I can scrounge a bigger tank, so many people have said "Oh I wish you'd told me - we've got one in the attic" - then we wouldn't have to give the Danio back. It's hard when the kids have got fond of the fish. You never know, any degree of sucess might breed addiction?

I will try and get on with saving the rest first. I am about to do the pea treatment, but was that just for the sick Molly and the air bladder bit? What does it do? Is it to make them "release the air" (polite way of putting it!!) :*)

:lol: just drop them in a cup of boiled water for 2 minutes and then cool them down before taking the shell off and feeding - you really don't need to boil them properly ;)

Lol :p I've never burnt peas before :p I also never boil them - microwaving is so much quicker ;)

Yes, the peas were just for the molly but they'll be good for all your fish. Don't feed many though. They porbably won't get through more than one. :)

:fun:
Microwave??? We are still on coal driven Raeburns here. I have a lovely collection of burnt relics, the peas have been immortalised thats all.

I did them again and the fish loved it - but why???? Is it that wind reason?

Also I still wanted to know how the chlorine remover works, anyone know? :alien:

The black balloon molly is much much fatter than the silver one bought at the same time, at the same time as starving them? she looks that square shape of pre-production someone mentioned....her bott looks white and distended to me between the fins....I hope they are tough if that thought proves true.

Thanks peeps, being on here is very encouraging.

Oh I thought I already addressed your dechlorinator question -_- :/

Just read a few posts up - but if you what to know how it actaully works: well i believe it somehow "binds" with the heavy chemicals / metals and renders them harmless in that way. But I'm not entirely sure about the chemical reactions etc. if that's what you wanted to know ?

Most reactions

Back