Doggiebag's First Fishless Cycle - Juwel Rekord 600

I would definitely not try to use he semi-mature filter until the ammonia levels in the new tank were at zero. All filters need cleaning once in a while and why not do that cleaning in the new tank is all that I really would suggest. By doing it there, oyu will seed the new filter with some of the bacteria from the existing filter and hurry the fishless cycling along. I would think it was a better use of those bacteria than putting them on the garden with removed tank water.

I would definitely not try to use he semi-mature filter until the ammonia levels in the new tank were at zero. All filters need cleaning once in a while and why not do that cleaning in the new tank is all that I really would suggest. By doing it there, oyu will seed the new filter with some of the bacteria from the existing filter and hurry the fishless cycling along. I would think it was a better use of those bacteria than putting them on the garden with removed tank water.

Okay, will do, thank you :good:

Day 4: 13/08/09: Ammonia 3.0, Nitrites 0.25. Tank almost clear now, another day and it should be crystal

Updated the past 4 days results........looking more normal now regarding nitrites, would have liked to have seen a change in ammonia though......

Day 5: 14/08/09: Ammonia 3, Nitrites 0.25

Day 6: 15/08/09: Ammonia 3, Nitrites 0.25

Day 7: 16/08/09:Ph 8.2, Ammonia 3, Nitrites <0.25 (0.15)

Day 8: 17/08/09: Ammonia 3, Nitrites <0.25 (0.10). Appears the initial nitrite readings may have been due to tank settling or something, as they have now dropped and cycle appears more as expected. Hoping to see the ammonia drop very soon........

Its really better not to expect much or read much in to the first couple of weeks of readings (although you do want to test and be building up log entries.) Then at some point when the tank seems to wake up and start doing something, you can be pleasantly surprised!

~~waterdrop~~

thanks guys, I was wondering when it would happen. Though this is still way less stressful than fish-in, just looking forward to seeing it start to drop........the condensation this tank builds up is amazing, the lids pours water off when I open it. My betta tank is at 80f and it never has condensation !

ye am constantly wiping mine as well, though i dont get as much condensation no more, normally most of it is because of the venturi/air devices. I reckon my heaters on the blink though. Are you using the supplied juwel heater? if so, is the water normally warm to the touch when at 29 degrees? mine fluctuates a lot between cool/cold to warm.

I am using the Juwel heater, yes. It seems to be keeping it at a rock steady 28C, how the temp feels to the touch depends on how hot I am I guess LOL it feels about the same as my betta tank does and that can feel cold/warm depending on room temps, but I know they are constant as I have glass and digi therms in them both and they read the same.
If I need the heater after cycling I think I will buy a visi-therm as I have heard dubious reports about these ones, along with elite ones, so I tend to swap them for visi-therms now.

I am using the air diffuser too on my Juwel, but I did have condensation before it anyway. Can't say the diffuser does much, not as rapid bubbling as an airstone, just a trickle of teeny bubbles that circulate the whole tank, was a bit shocked at how gentle it was compared to an airstone.

Day 11: 20/08/09: Ammonia 3, Nitrites 0

Day 12: 21/08/09: Ph 8.2, Ammonia 3, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20

Day 13: 22/08/09: Ammonia 2, Nitrites 0.25 at last, I think it's starting !!!! Whoo-hoo :good:

thanks for the encouragement guys, it really is happening at last, now the test results are interesting, rather than boring and monotonous. lol

Day 15: 24/08/09: Ammonia 1, Nitrites 5 ( nearly off scale as the drops turned sort of deep blue/purplish in bottom, though not immediately, reckon off the scale tomorrow though)

Most reactions

Back