Corydoras aeneus Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The 3g looks perfect! Much better set up than I ever did! Love it.

Oh, also I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I used about 2 drops of Methylene blue in the mason jar when I first put the cory eggs in there. This helps prevent fungus on the eggs.

If you keep shrimp, I read somewhere that cherry shrimp are useful for helping to clean the eggs and reduce fungus, and don't harm the healthy eggs, and added them to the last few batches of eggs I collected, and did find them helpful, as they worked around the containers cleaning, and with the fry as they grew. I think of them as shrimp nannies. Still had some eggs fungus, but less than previously, in my small, anecdotal sample size.

If you keep shrimp, I read somewhere that cherry shrimp are useful for helping to clean the eggs and reduce fungus, and don't harm the healthy eggs, and added them to the last few batches of eggs I collected, and did find them helpful, as they worked around the containers cleaning, and with the fry as they grew. I think of them as shrimp nannies. Still had some eggs fungus, but less than previously, in my small, anecdotal sample size.
Is there a specific types of shrimp? I do have some red cherry and amano shrimp.

Is there a specific types of shrimp? I do have some red cherry and amano shrimp.

Neocaridina, of any colour variety work! I used them. I'd imagine caridina would be fine and useful too, haven't personally kept those yet though. I have amanos in my main tanks... being so much larger I personally wouldn't try it with amanos, although it might be an interesting experiment to try next time mine spawn (I stopped collecting eggs since I didn't have time to raise and rehome cory fry).

Plus sometimes a couple of more predatory species of shrimp are accidentally sold as amanos, so best avoided in general for that reason alone I'd think. I'm sure you'd have noticed by now if yours weren't amanos, but in general terms I mean.

Neocaridina, of any colour variety work! I used them. I'd imagine caridina would be fine and useful too, haven't personally kept those yet though. I have amanos in my main tanks... being so much larger I personally wouldn't try it with amanos, although it might be an interesting experiment to try next time mine spawn (I stopped collecting eggs since I didn't have time to raise and rehome cory fry).

Plus sometimes a couple of more predatory species of shrimp are accidentally sold as amanos, so best avoided in general for that reason alone I'd think. I'm sure you'd have noticed by now if yours weren't amanos, but in general terms I mean.
I acutally just purchased some additional amanos but they appear to be what they were sold as. How would I know if they were not amanos?

I acutally just purchased some additional amanos but they appear to be what they were sold as. How would I know if they were not amanos?

The predatory ones have long claws on the front, with pincher type attachments. I'll try to find the forum thread with photos where I learned about it, I think @Essjay will also know the ones I'm taking about, I'm sure she was in that thread, or was the one to explain and show perhaps.

What Adora is referring to is Macrobrachium or long arm shrimps. The claws they use for picking up food are much longer in these shrimps and they use then to catch fry and very small fish. They can easily be differentiated from amanos and ghost/glass shrimps by the length of their front 'arms'.

They were moved to the 3 gallon two days ago. Don't see them that much but saw a couple just now in front.

20240220_190009.jpg

D'aaww, they're tiny little baby fish now! Keeping fingers crossed for you that they keep growing and doing well!

Congrats on being a cory grandparent! My Cory's lay eggs every week to two weeks, I leave them alone in a community tank and have at least two from each batch survive. The first batch I took them out and all of them died. 😞 Now I have to give them to all the other tanks in my house! It is great feeling and proud moment when you see the grow up and then they start having babies!

Congrats on being a cory grandparent! My Cory's lay eggs every week to two weeks, I leave them alone in a community tank and have at least two from each batch survive. The first batch I took them out and all of them died. 😞 Now I have to give them to all the other tanks in my house! It is great feeling and proud moment when you see the grow up and then they start having babies!

That's awesome when they colony breed like that in a tank, without needing hand rearing! Shows you're doing something right. :) My pygmy corydoras colony breed without much help from me - babies just appear sometimes, and I rehome or sell a group of youngsters only when I'm starting to worry they'll overstock their tank!

But my larger cories I don't collect the eggs anymore since my Sterbai's have never spawned (although I haven't attempted to spawn them deliberately either) and my bronzes produced some deformed in their last batch. :( Found one of the parents I'd bought had a slightly kinked spine, only visible from above so I didn't see it, so now I just let the parents and other fish eat the eggs if they do spawn. I did raise a few batches before I realised there was any deformity in one of the males, so don't want to produce more fry from these guys. But raised four batches, and it was both terrifying and wonderful! Successes and sadly a few losses, but I would like to get and try to colony breed some other species of cory. Haven't decided which though! Mind if I ask what species of cories you're breeding? :D

I love that they are happy and wanting to breed but my goodness they are now laying eggs once a week and it is multiple females at once. Yesterday my albino mommy littered my tank, today my Copper Emerald is just throwing eggs everywhere, and my Pepper is starting her little getting ready to drop eggs dance. They just never stop in that tank.
In my other tank my Julies have have a few batches with out me knowing, its always fun to see a smaller one appear out of nowhere (unless your doing a huge water change on a 6 month old tank and find that it was just too much for the little guys to handle the next morning, when you did not know they had even been laying eggs.). I don't think I have a pair of Emeralds, they are both male or female, or at least I haven't seen any eggs.
I did not start out to breed these guys at all. About a year ago I just saw eggs and had research who they could belonged to and what to do. Threw lots of trial and error, I found that they do the best when I just leave them alone.
It's really hard to choose, there are so many Cory's that are just strikingly beautiful, and where I am no one around here knows what they actually have. Always miss identified.

I love that they are happy and wanting to breed but my goodness they are now laying eggs once a week and it is multiple females at once. Yesterday my albino mommy littered my tank, today my Copper Emerald is just throwing eggs everywhere, and my Pepper is starting her little getting ready to drop eggs dance. They just never stop in that tank.
In my other tank my Julies have have a few batches with out me knowing, its always fun to see a smaller one appear out of nowhere (unless your doing a huge water change on a 6 month old tank and find that it was just too much for the little guys to handle the next morning, when you did not know they had even been laying eggs.). I don't think I have a pair of Emeralds, they are both male or female, or at least I haven't seen any eggs.
I did not start out to breed these guys at all. About a year ago I just saw eggs and had research who they could belonged to and what to do. Threw lots of trial and error, I found that they do the best when I just leave them alone.
It's really hard to choose, there are so many Cory's that are just strikingly beautiful, and where I am no one around here knows what they actually have. Always miss identified.

Wow, that's really impressive! Do you feed a lot of live food, by any chance? Do large, or sometimes slightly cooler water changes? There must be something that has them conditioned to breed and feeling frisky! ;) I also take breeding as a good sign that the environment is satisfactory for the adults if they're in condition enough to want to breed, and the fry can raise themselves in the tank is even better!

Same here in never intentionally breeding them. My bronzes surprised me by spawning while still in their QT tank, then had more batches in the big community tank where I collected the eggs since the parents and tankmates were eating them. Now if they spawn, I let them eat the eggs.

I was stunned when I was gravel vaccing/sand vaccing my pygmy cory tank one day, that had seven adults, and two fry shot out of the plants! I had to learn fast to be very careful when cleaning and water changing that tank, since the fry hide so well in the mulm when they're newborn, they can be easily sucked up, so every bucket of water I remove has to be sifted through and checked carefully to rescue baby wriggler pygmy cory fry! Same with the shrimp tank... adds a lot of time to their maintenance, but worth it since I'd feel awful if I missed any and threw them out with the bucket of tank water!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back