FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ram419

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just hatched the other day

20240211_093207.jpg

WRIGGLERS!! 😍

Congrats on your fry! I love that initial hatching... they're so teeny, they almost look more like insects than baby fish when they first emerge, don't they? :D Adorable. But yes, they grow so fast! Enjoy the process, and please please keep sharing photos!

Agree with @DoubleDutch that the proud parents are some lovely C.aeneus.

I'm not sure what price emerald green cory normally go for. I don't think I spent over $10 per fish.

Here's a pic from today. You might not be able to see a big difference in size but on the first pic I was zoomed in more. They are pretty easy to see to the nake eye now.

View attachment 336833

Gah, making me want to spawn my cories now! It's fun raising the fry, they're so tiny and cute! But it's better to experience it vicariously right now and follow along as you raise your little ones. :)

Was it a deliberate spawning, or a surprise? Have you raised cory fry before?

No, first time. And yes I picked a few eggs out of my main tank to try and spawn them. Wanted some more for a couple other smaller tanks that don't have any yet. The cory usually will eat all the eggs in the tank before they hatch so unless I take them out I've never had them hatch.

Only other fish I've had reproduce are live bearers, mollys and guppys.

No, first time. And yes I picked a few eggs out of my main tank to try and spawn them. Wanted some more for a couple other smaller tanks that don't have any yet. The cory usually will eat all the eggs in the tank before they hatch so unless I take them out I've never had them hatch.

Only other fish I've had reproduce are live bearers, mollys and guppys.

Woohoo! I was in the same boat, only I wasn't expecting mine, since I wasn't expecting it, I'd just bought the four C.aeneus and they spawned while in the quarantine tank, so I posted here begging NCaquatics/Casscats to help talk me through it.

Here's the thread. I apologise for all the panicked waffling and chatting, don't feel any pressure to read any/all of it, but I would recommend skimming it to read everything Casscats wrote. Sadly she left the forum, but she's an incredibly talented breeder, wonderful with cories, and talked me through how to do it. @DoubleDutch would vouch for that too, I'm sure.

Especially things like adding some sand from the parent tank to the fry container 7 days after they hatch, and feeding etc.

I did lose some in those first few spawnings, but gradually managed to have more and more survive as I got more practice with raising them. But Casscats gave fantastic advice, amazing photos, and you can see photos of my bronze cory fry as they grew in that thread too. :)

Wishing you all the luck, and excited to follow and see your little ones grow! Thank you for sharing. :D

Great, I'll take a look. I keep them with a small air stone in the mason jar and do daily water changes, adding the main tanks water as the new water.
I've been feeding them Hikaria first bites.

I'm working on getting a 3 gallon cycled for them and once that is ready I'll move them there.
I've got some moss in there and some Anacharis.

20240213_190714.jpg

Oh, also I don't think I ever mentioned it, but I used about 2 drops of Methylene blue in the mason jar when I first put the cory eggs in there. This helps prevent fungus on the eggs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back