Cloudy Water - Not Bacterial Bloom

i cannot believe it has been such a simple thing that has caused all this. if you look at the picture you will see long grass in front of the filter. the grass has been blocking the filter inlet area at the bottom. so it has been allowing water to go through it's system but any waste or particles etc no matter how small has been trapped into the bottom of the grass and kept in the tank. this morning i removed the grass while doing maintenance and did not put it back in. since then the water has cleared to almost 90% of what it was and give another couple of hours should be crystal clear.

I am thinking because of the frequent water changes thats why my levels never rose and kept the water clean for the fish. I will have to re-do the lay out of the tank so i keep the filter clear at all times.

as for the venturi I removed that tube ages ago so that is no longer in play anyways.

finally i am happy as this has been making me mad with frustration and want to thanks everyone for their time and advice and input xxxxx

Well its good to know what the cause was for future reference. That is very bizarre. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite part of fishkeeping?

Well its good to know what the cause was for future reference. That is very bizarre. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite part of fishkeeping?

i love learning about species for one but the physical sides are ..... i have chosen the species for particular reasons. corydoras because i used to have them when I was sighted so sentimental reasons i have 3lined corys. the silver dollars like to be hand fed so I can feed them cucumber or lettuce and instead of seeing them I can feel them that way. the humbug aka talking catfish you can handle and also hear it "talk" so again a touch and audio interaction rather than visual. the maintenance of the tanks i find is a good work out so don't need a gym as i have to move the water by bucket but also constantly touching inside while cleaning allows me to enjoy the tank that way. in my head i can visualise the tanks but it is a great sense of achievement maintaining the tank. makes me feel i have regained a small part of me when I could see. I know that probably sounds silly but it is important to me.

what about you eagle?

I think its a beautiful thing that you can actually feel the beauty in the world. Sight is something that I know is taken for granted, and its great that losing it has not swayed your character. I read you about me section and as a prior service army girl myself, as well as a military spouse, I can proudly say thank you for your service and your sacrifices. It is very heartwarming to see that what you have been forced to give up through your military service has not swayed your outlook on life. I find that to be very admirable. :)

I am glad that you figured out what was going on with your tank. Now you can go back to relaxing and enjoying your fish without worry :)

I think its a beautiful thing that you can actually feel the beauty in the world. Sight is something that I know is taken for granted, and its great that losing it has not swayed your character. I read you about me section and as a prior service army girl myself, as well as a military spouse, I can proudly say thank you for your service and your sacrifices. It is very heartwarming to see that what you have been forced to give up through your military service has not swayed your outlook on life. I find that to be very admirable. :)

I am glad that you figured out what was going on with your tank. Now you can go back to relaxing and enjoying your fish without worry :)

i tell you it is a massive relief it is sorted but can't believe it was such a simple thing. hopefully this post might help anyone else with the same problem and might be caused by same thing

what about you eagle?

Nothing nearly as interesting as you. First, I am a science geek, so learning about these species and their needs is very interesting. I am a physical science guy by trade, but life science is quite fascinating, as long as I don't have to dissect stuff! I prefer to study living things while they are alive. :lol:

Ultimately, I got into fishkeeping again (had a tank as a kid that my dad slowly turned over to me) when my son asked for a pet. My wife is allergic to just about EVERYTHING. But, fish is something that she can safely be around without it affecting her breathing. I don't know how she would do touching the water, etc. but I do that. She just gets to enjoy the look of them.

In addition I like to just watch the fish. While doing that, I study their interactions and watch their interplay. I too love corydoras. They are probably my favorite fish, but I am starting to take a real shine to my new dwarf gourami. I also enjoy watching my son get excited about them. He doesn't really show a ton of excitement about them on a daily basis, but then he will draw pictures of our family and he has included the tank in the background, with each type of fish represented.

And, I thank you for your service. My brother-in-law just enlisted into the US Air Force. He'll be refueling jets in flight as the fuel tank operator. He's stationed in California right now, and will be making flights to Guam, Hawaii and Alaska. Hopefully things can stay stable in Southeast Asia.

here is one of the two tanks now crystal clear

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2784531136687&set=o.5461602523&type=1&theater

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back