Cloudy Water - Not Bacterial Bloom

Branwyn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have twin 55 gallon tanks. both are identical in set up. both have 15 corydoras, 7 spotted silver dollars and a humbug in each. set up is wood (treated) and coconut caves, artifical grass and substrate is aquarium sand. light are a mix of 1 x sunglo T8 and 1 x dayglo T8.

PROBLEM : i have constant cloudy water. all parameters are good everytime i use an API master test. Fish in perfect condition. Corydoras constantly breeding and laying eggs. Dollars very colourful with vibrant spots and black and orange flashes and very active. Tanks have been fully cycled and I have no fish deaths yet my water is constantly cloudy. it starts to clear if i do a 30% change everyday but never becomes crystal clear.if i miss just 1 day water change it turns to pea soup fog. substrate is spotless clean so what am I doing wrong to cause this?

Have you tried floss in the filter? It will help with removing the finer particles in the water, should it not be bacterial.

How sure are you its not a bacterial bloom?

I think it isnt a bacterial bloom as tanks are cycled and when i use a water clarifier it clears crystal clear. but i dont want to use that and get the water clear naturally. I have added floss and also ceramic to my filters but apart from filtering my water better it doesn't effect the cloudiness

I had this on my 75g about a month ago turned out to be the most random of things for me. When i clean my external filter i didt place the trays right and the flow was not going smoothly up the return pipe, it must have been dumping dirt back into the tank from the media as it was really foggy, another full clean and correctly putting the trays in clened up in 24 hours :good:

I think it isnt a bacterial bloom as tanks are cycled and when i use a water clarifier it clears crystal clear. but i dont want to use that and get the water clear naturally. I have added floss and also ceramic to my filters but apart from filtering my water better it doesn't effect the cloudiness

Someone may correct me, but I was under the impression that bacterial blooms can happen in any tank at any time, not just uncycled ones.

Cazza your correct but I meant if a water clarifier can make the water crystal clear thats where my doubts it is a bacteria bloom comes from.

Bruiser I had the same thought i have taken my filter apart even cleaned the magnets etc to make sure it was working perfectly so managed to rule that out :good:

Is it a white or green bloom? What have you fed your fish recently? Any veggies etc? What is our lighting times on the tank? Is the tank recieving light from a window etc?

Hiya phil

- the bloom is white

- i feed my fish pellets, blood worms, lettuce, frozen dollar feast(bloodworm, daphnia and mysis shrimp) & (Brine Shrimp with garlic) and frozen green spinach cubes (for fish) obviously not all at once but i like to vary the diet

- lighting times for the tank most of the afternoon and evening as away from natural light or window

hmm am a bit stumped, nothing dead in the tank i assume hideing away under a rock/plant

How many hours total on average would you say you have them on total? Im stumped here too, is there any left over lettuce or food wedged somewhere that is breaking down? or in your filter?

OR do you dose your tank with anything like fertilisers? Or have you treated your tank recently? Basicly have you added anything to your tank except water conditioner and food?

How many hours total on average would you say you have them on total? Im stumped here too, is there any left over lettuce or food wedged somewhere that is breaking down? or in your filter?

OR do you dose your tank with anything like fertilisers? Or have you treated your tank recently? Basicly have you added anything to your tank except water conditioner and food?

I would say I have the lights on probably about 6 hours in the evening. i dont put them on during the day. lettuce is never left in more than a day and only once a week. as i do a daily 30L water change i also vacuum the sand so nothing is left. I have a simple aquascape to easy to maintain. I haven't added anything except conditioner and food.

Hi Aqua Tom

I added the aquarium sand in September and I washed it in a pillow case. also the depth is just 1cm as I dont have a planted tank.

Still happening then Branwyn? Am i right in thinking that you are using internal filters? Maybe it is time to step up to externals. If you could source some Seachem Purigen then i am pretty sure this would clear it up for you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back