Cichlid hiding!?!?!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I feel like everytime I have put in the ich meds one of my fish dies! I originally made the mistake of haveing a goldfish in the tank first and that’s where ich came from. I lost 2 peacocks and a red eyed cichlid and it wasn’t long after the ich treatment.... now I have one laying at the bottom again

Your camera doesn't like yellow objects :). Most digital cameras have trouble photographing yellow, white or black objects and they tend to focus on other things and not necessarily what you want. I can't tell if the electric yellow has Ich from that pic :)

----------------------
If fish are dying after you treat you are possibly overdosing the tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litre.

When you measure the height of the tank, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level.
If you have lots of rock or driftwood in the tank, remove them when you measure the height because they displace the water.

You can use the Calculator/ converter under the "How To Tips" at the top of this page to convert litres to US or British gallons if you need to.

----------------------
Before you treat any fish tank, wipe the inside glass down, do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean before adding any medication. And if you have a power filter, clean that too. Wash the filter materials in a bucket of tank water then do it again in another bucket of tank water, then put the materials back in the filter.

Oh no!!! Okay will do all of that! He did indeed die....:( I was using one cap full directions say add 10 drops per gallon or 5 ml per 10 gallons of water so in the measuring cup I have I measured out 10 mls? Is that incorrect for a 55 gal?

Does your tank actually have 55 gallons of water in it?

Most places in the US sell tanks as 20gallon, 30gallon, etc. However, they don't usually hold that much water when set up due to gravel and ornaments displacing water and the water level is not normally right up to the very top of the tank. So a tank sold as a 20gallon might only hold 16 or 17 gallons.

---------------------
What medication are you using?

If the medication dose rate is 5 ml per 10 gallons of water, and the tank actually has 55 gallons of water in it, then you should be adding 27.5ml of medication to the tank. But work out the volume in the actual tank before treating.

I will measure as you said it is a 55 gal tank but it is also not filled clear to the top either...and the gravel and such in it as well! I will measure ASAP to find the accurate dose I should be giving! It is called parasite remedy by imagniturium

Hello and sorry you're having such troubles. Your tank and fish look beautiful.
But no one has asked the most important question here....
Although maybe it's been answered in a different post that I haven't yet seen.

Has this tank been cycled?
And are you checking all of your water parameters regularly?

I can't find any info online about what is in the medication. What are the ingredients in the medication Imagitarium parasite remedy?

Hello and sorry you're having such troubles. Your tank and fish look beautiful.
But no one has asked the most important question here....
Although maybe it's been answered in a different post that I haven't yet seen.

Has this tank been cycled?
And are you checking all of your water parameters regularly?
Hello! And thank you for your sympathy...yes it has I ran it for a couple weeks before adding my cichlids....I did however have a goldfish in it in the beginning ( my kids won at the carnival) when I lost my peacocks and the red eyed cichlid I removed the goldfish thinking the ammonia was too much. I need to get some ph testers and plan on getting the whole kit on Friday when I have some more money. I had 2 Amazon sword plants that I removed yesterday because they were turning brown.... so as of right now I do not know my ph levels :eek: they all seem super happy I had no idea this one was even gonna die :/

I can't find any info online about what is in the medication. What are the ingredients in the medication Imagitarium parasite remedy?
None listed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
It concerns me that there are no ingredients listed on the medication. In Australia it would be illegal to sell a treatment with the ingredients listed on the package.

Unfortunately without knowing exactly what is in the treatment, it might help or might not make any difference. There were a few reports online from people using that product and the disease did not get treated.

If you can find out what is actually in the medication then we can go from there. Alternatively get a different medication that contains Malachite Green.
If you don't like using chemicals you can use heat treatment to kill whitespot. You raise the tank temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. The heat will kill off the parasite. If the tank is cool, only raise the temperature slowly over 24-48 hours.

I actually never even realized there were none listed until you asked me!!! That is selfish of me!!! I am going to ask petco why there is none listed....I purchased it there. Also I was doing research on raising the temp and I think I will try that first because I really don’t like using chemicals! Thank you so much! Will keep all posted!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back