CF lighting... 5000k or 6700k?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tsr770

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going to do a conversion to a 96 watt compact flourescent on my 36 inch hood. I have the choice of either a 5000k or 6700k bulb. Any opinions on which one to get? What will the different spectrums look like? Will one be more blue/white than the other? And finally which one will my plants like better?

the blue / 6500 would be my choice if you have only one bulb.
Im not a pro.. but I have read up alot.
HTH

oh, right why..
when I run the 6500s alone they are too yellowish IMO.
The two bulbs together give a nice color and full spectrum for the critters..
talking about SW here right?

6,500K is yellow
10,000K is white
20,000K is blue

Its up to you which you go for but I'd go for 10,000K as these are a good compromise and look good. you could go for 14,000K if you want more blue light or like adrinal said, 6,500K with some more blue light but be carfull as if you get it wrong your tank can look very yellowy, or like the bottom of the ocean - deep blue. this is why 10,000K/14,000K are good as they are a nice white light with the 14,000K having slightly more blue in it.

ste :)

Also, GE makes a 9325 bulb that many plant enthusiasts rave about. Although a few people have reported that they lead to a slightly "pink" look, though.

The 10,000k Will be the most natural appearing of the options.

Current concensus is that 6500k is best for growth though

Under 6500k is useless and nasty to look at IMO.

I would go for the 10,000k too.

GL

Its actually going on my bowfront freshwater tank, as the 30 watt bulb on the 46 gallon tank is not really cutting it for the plants that I want to get. In looking into this I have found that a CoraLife Freshwater Aqualight (single strip) is only about 10 bucks more than converting my striplight, and I wont have a ballast hanging off the back, or have to wire it up. Now all I need to do is come up with some 1/4 inch Lexan to use as the new rear portion of my hood.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back