Canon Eos 450d

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
As title says really, anyone got the 450D? if so how do you rate it?

i'm looking to upgrade my camera in the next few months, (currently have the 350D) and atm the 450D looks to be my first choice with the EOS 1000D second and EOS 400D third.
only reason i'm upgrading is cause my camera body is looking a little shabby and worn out and just fancy a shiny new play thing really :lol:

Any other suggestions are welcome, but they would need to be worth my while as all my lenses are all obviously for a canon

Thanks in advance

yes a great camera. and guess what. . . it has an aquarium mode. so you can take pics of your tank with ease and the focusing is brilliant for thinks like shrimps + in size

Aquarium mode? I have the 450d its a good camera. Nice size and quality screen. Nice professional looking body. Long battery life. Good pictures. Tbe honest you wont see a massive difference in picture quality between the 350d to the 450d. I'd wait till next year then get a 40d or 50d or higher.

Aquarium mode? I have the 450d its a good camera. Nice size and quality screen. Nice professional looking body. Long battery life. Good pictures. Tbe honest you wont see a massive difference in picture quality between the 350d to the 450d. I'd wait till next year then get a 40d or 50d or higher.

are the tiny aps format cmos units not a bit past their low noise area at 15+mp?(50d) i know it gives CCD units problems.

the full frame units(5d) look very good, but i think the site i went to had a problem. where the price should be, they seem to have put a telephone number :crazy:

I don't think there is any difference between 450d and the xxd series with regard image quality. 20 - 50d camera's are nice compromises for semi-pro because of size, but more importantly they are much easier to operate and have some other advanced features. A pro would produce identical images between a 350d and 40d in most cases (minus pixel density).

If I were you I would ask yourself would you be better upgrading the body or maybe getting a better lens if you haven't already. I have to admit I struggle a little to get real nice aquarium pics with my 350d and Sigma 17-70 lens (I consider myself technically advanced and use the camera in manual mode never turn the dial to those wotsit modes) so I would be looking at a large aperture lens before upgrading to the 450d. This would make a bigger difference.
Incidentally, the 450d is a lovely camera but for me only features that really appeal to me and they are ISO in viewfinder with dedicated button and better (much quicker) autofocus.. If my 350d had these I doubt I would want to bother upgrading!

Out of interest what lens are you currently using?

Out of interest what lens are you currently using?

I currently own 6 "entry level" lenses, although the first 3 are the only ones I ever use

- EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
- EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
- EF 90-300mm f4.5-5.6 USM (58mm)

- EF 50mm 1.8 II
- Sigma 70-210 F3.5-4.5 APO Macro
- Opteka 420-800mm

Bump,

Also can anyone suggest a few lenses that i can look into?
a 60mm or 100mm macro is currently top of my list

Bump,

Hi Davo sorry I missed email thing about lens's is it depends what you want to do. I can't speak for the macro lens's as they are beyond my budget but from what I have seen the Sigma 105 & 150 are superb!

Incidentally I think your 50mm is potentially one of the nicest lens's in your collection! Real sharp with large aperture and small Dof - some people swear by this prime and use it over everything else!

Bump,

Hi Davo sorry I missed email thing about lens's is it depends what you want to do. I can't speak for the macro lens's as they are beyond my budget but from what I have seen the Sigma 105 & 150 are superb!

Incidentally I think your 50mm is potentially one of the nicest lens's in your collection! Real sharp with large aperture and small Dof - some people swear by this prime and use it over everything else!

Thanks for those suggestions, will definitely look into them,

Will also have to get that lense out then an start using it

Regarding the macro lenses, there are a few that always get great reviews and all of them are excellent. Ive seen some pictures from the Sigma 105mm and they are excellent. I have the Tamron 90mm which is also very good. All of the Canon macro lenses have great reviews but are slightly more.
What I want to get is a Canon speedlight flashgun 580 EX II and a Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter. You put the flash above the tank and it sets remotely by transmitter, gives excellent light which is vital. Costs an arm and a leg though.
For some examples of what can be achieved with a Canon 350d macro lens and flash look on the practical fishkeeping forum and search for threads started byAQUASAUR
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/forum/index.php

in pure optical terms, prime lenses are by far the better quality, even now. but as digital is still of , somewhat lower quality than even print film of the silver halide era, it makes little difference. but they, usually have a wider aperture, making then brighter in the view finder and allowing faster shutter speeds. and the wider aperture makes them good for portraits (85mm- 135mm) as the wide aperture allows you to isolate the subject. in macro, reasonably wide apertures are a boon, not that you would use a wide aperture taking the picture, but again it makes the viewfinder brighter.

Most reactions

Back