Can you crossbreed a platy and molly???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

actually there is a platy/molly cross breed.it is called the catemaco platy.
it only gets to 1 1/2 inches but it has most of the molly features in a platy.i can tpost a pic but you can look it up on google or yahoo if you want

Not trying to be rude but if you want to say something doesnt exist next time all of you guys need to say it is your personal theory not fact ....thanx

Hi there

I have a dalmation molly fry, and a blue platy, they must have bred, as the sole survivor of hers looked dalmation, but the older it gets the more blue colour over her back, she looks like a cross between the blue platy and the dalmation, will get pictures to show

thats immposible!c they WILL NOT BREED!!!

the plattie can be mixed with a painted platty. and sometimes the color changes. there is NO WAY that they can mate. NONE AT ALL!

i'm pretty sure its possible from what i have read about them

I think this descustion could go one forever.

But as far as I know Mollies and Platties are genecticly to far apart to breed with each over.i shore I got a book that exsplains it, but can't quit find it at the moment.

Will post what it says when I do.

JUST BECAUSE THEY LOOK LIKE THE MOLLY DOESNT MEAN ITS THE FATHER!!

You shouldnt be giving out false information. It is a PROVEN fact that mollies only breed with the Poecilia family! Not the Xiphophorus wich platties are.

The father of the plattie is not the molly. its a plattie. and it is probly one of the spotted colored mollies, like the painted plattie.

a picture of a fish will not prove anything!
I can take a picture of a blue plattie and a mollie and post a pic of a painted plattie and say it the baby! There is no proof in it at all.

Hi i'm really not giving out false information i only have 1 female molly who i watched give birth to it, and it has the blue tint of the platy, who might i add is the only male livebearer in my tank, and the baby has black dalmation spots and the blue platy tint all over it. I can only assume that he is the father, there is no other explanation, there are no male mollys in my tank at all

cant wait to get batteries for my camera so i can show you with the parents - that way you would be able to see for yourself, i understand that you say it is impossible but so were so many other things before scientists decided that they were wrong etc, they must be unless this fish is magic

No offence meant - i really just cant explain it any other way,

pandapops001 said:
Hi i'm really not giving out false information i only have 1 female molly who i watched give birth to it, and it has the blue tint of the platy, who might i add is the only male livebearer in my tank, and the baby has black dalmation spots and the blue platy tint all over it. I can only assume that he is the father, there is no other explanation, there are no male mollys in my tank at all
I'm assuming mollies are like guppies, who can hold sperm for months and months. Is it possible that she was hit at the pet store, and just held the sperm for months then had the fry?

yes i guess, but how long can they hold it for, i've had her since April. And the blue tint is exactly the same as my male platy's.

perhaps its just a coincidence i dont know, but it really does look like a mix of the two

I know guppies can hold it for 6 months, maybe more! So if mollies are similar, then it's likely she was knocked up at the lfs. You might even get another batch or two! Weird, huh? :p

Remember that female Mollies can also reproduce without any male at all, so a female molly in a tank alone with platies might still produce fry without a platy being the father

This is called parthenogenisis.

I've done a great deal of research both on the net and in libraries about molly/guppy/platy/swordtail crossing, and it seems that it has happened, in the aquarium and in the laboratory. But it is still quite rare for the fry to come to term. but not impossible. The members of the Poecilia & Xiphophorus families only split from their common ancester about 850000 thousand years ago.

The cross breeding of different species has been done with other distantly related species as well-
Lions and tigers live on different continents and separated from the common ancester four million years ago.. and yet lygers are a reality.

Donkeys & zebra produce Zedonks, but are separated by three million years.

So two species separated by less than a million years should certainly be able to breed in some cases.

well to be honest even though it could be posible. I won't beleave til I have a pic, and also it is definot mating, Like the female is a virgin fiah and has only been with the certain type of male.

are you serious about tigers and lions, and tebra and donkeys , cos pics would be good it you are. Not that I don't beleave you, I love the animal kindom, and love seeing what it capable of doing. Just to suvize ect.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back