Can you crossbreed a platy and molly???

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

And if you look around, there is also a Catemaco Molly???? I don't think it's a cross, just a wild type. They can be MUCH more colorful. :)

balloon molly said:
got it.
Xiphophorus milleri

catemaco.jpg

Platy/Molly hybrid
thats just a diffrent platty. dont give out false information. especially if you have no proof to back it up.

again, mollies and platties cant crossbreed. I dont understand why yall dont get it. I said it quite a bit. They WILL NOT crossbreed.

wrs said:
balloon molly said:
got it.
Xiphophorus milleri

catemaco.jpg

Platy/Molly hybrid
thats just a diffrent platty. dont give out false information. especially if you have no proof to back it up.

again, mollies and platties cant crossbreed. I dont understand why yall dont get it. I said it quite a bit. They WILL NOT crossbreed.
I don't beleave for one second they can, but so many people say they have, I find the descytion so interesting.

The reason that it is very rare for fish to crossbreed is because, due to the genetics of the fish, the eggs of the female will automatically reject the sperm of any male of a different species, and will not allow itself to be fertilized. Just another little trick mother nature thought up to prevent atrocities like blood parrots and flowerhorns to occur (but alas, they happened anyway). In the very rare case of a genetic defect on either side, the egg may allow itself to be fertilized and thus a hybrid is born. Either way, the hybrid is almost always sterile and thus cannot pass on it's genetic traits to the next generation.

hmm. i looked up hybrid platy/molly on google and it pointed me to this site
ive never heard of a catemaco molly :dunno: .
if i did give out false info sorry guys :*)
heres a flower as a token of forgiveness :flowers: :flowers:

Hi here are the pics i promised and forgot about, please bear in mind, that i'm useless with a cam, the baby is definately from the dalmation molly pictured.
The male platy (who i thought was the father) is also pictured - i will refer to them as the parents just so that you will understand me, when i blabber on lol

Although its possible she could have been pregnant, and held on to it from the pet store (6 mths is ages, poor thing), okay i think i caught the blue tint on the baby fish, but you cant see the dalmation spots it has but i will try and get some clearer ones for you.

MumBaby.jpg
MUM & BABY
Baby3.jpg
Baby
BabyDad.jpg
Dad in the back, baby at the front
Baby.jpg
More baby
Baby2.jpg
Dad, whatever the baby is - we love it

balloon molly said:
got it.
Xiphophorus milleri

catemaco.jpg

Platy/Molly hybrid
As you can see, its scientific name is X. milleri - it's not crossbreeded, it's just a one colour variation. They, platies and mollies, cannot crossbreed.

And if it was possible, why would anyone like to crossbreed them??? :grr:

Guppies and mollies can crossbreed.
Platies and swordtails can crossbreed.
Different mollies can crossbreed together.

And that is the reason too, why those - like platies and swordtails - shouldn't be kept in a same tank.

See why dont people at the lfs tell you this when you buy the fish, i bought my platy and my swordtail at the same time, and nothing was said the lady there didnt even know how to sex the fish.

Luckily they are both male, and get on, but this could have been so awful,

I hate my lfs -_-

there is nothing wrong with platties and swordtails crossbreeding. It happens in the wild. You can keep them in the same tanks. It wouldnt be "awful" if there was 1m 1f. And dont hate your lfs because of whta others think.

Yes the CAN breed i am getting tired of this forum ...lol ....even tho it is a good ar guement and as for the person that said a liger and horse zebra corss isnt real please research a little like the rest of us before jumping on people i have a horse zebra cross at my local zoo Knoxville Zoo Tennessee :nod:

willywonka099 said:
Yes the CAN breed i am getting tired of this forum ...lol ....even tho it is a good ar guement and as for the person that said a liger and horse zebra corss isnt real please research a little like the rest of us before jumping on people i have a horse zebra cross at my local zoo Knoxville Zoo Tennessee :nod:
yes what can breed?

if your saying mollies and platties you are giving out false information, because they can not!

I had an orange and black platy, it died a couple weeks ago. I also have a dalmation molly, I JUST noticed that we have 3 baby platies!

Most likely from stored embryos. Unless you are 100% sure that your female had never been in contact with a male from her own species.

The fact that you can get viable tiger/lion crosses, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is absolutely no guide to whether platies and mollies can breed. As far as I can work out, the following is true:

Cross-breeding within the same genus is fairly common and in many instances produces viable offspring, sometimes even fertile offspring. Lions and tigers belong to the same genus. Donkeys and zebras also belong to the same genus. Platies and swordtails belong to the same genus and frequently interbreed, producing fertile offspring. Mollies and guppies also belong to the same genus, but interbreeding is much less common, though it has been documented (by a member of this forum inter alia). This tells us nothing about what is likely to happen between members of different genera.

Crossbreeding between different genera is not unknown, but it is much rarer and fraught with difficulties. In the case of livebearers, difficulties may involve not only genetic diversity but also practical physical problems: different shaped gonopodia, the fact that some species insert sperm quite far and others sort of leave it on the outside. John Dawes managed to get limia melanogasterxnigrofasciata hybrids to breed with some virgin sailfin mollies, but the fry were not viable.

There has never to my knowledge been a recorded case of a platy or other xiphophorus breeding (whether viably or not) with a poecilia species, like mollies or guppies. Part of the problem is observation. Unless you had reared the females themselves and knew for a fact that they were virgins, you couldn't know where the sperm had come from. As most of us buy our mollies in shops, they seldom come to us in their virginal innocence.

Parthenogenesis (female giving birth without genetic material from male) is only known from one species of molly, the Amazon molly (poecilia formosa). This is not one of the mollies commonly found in the trade. Also, for embryos to develop, these females still require the stimulation of sperm from a related molly species, usually Poecilia latipinna or P. mexicana. In other words, you can't just bung a solitary virgin Amazon molly in a tank and expect her to give birth. Besides, you probably can't get hold of an Amazon molly.

well they would never mate because of the diffrence in familys.

thats immposible!c they WILL NOT BREED!!!

the plattie can be mixed with a painted platty. and sometimes the color changes. there is NO WAY that they can mate. NONE AT ALL!

silly guys you know they WILL mate.....they are crazy sex machines....but NOTHING will come out of it....LOL :lol:

ok ppl heres my understanding

swords / platy can mate togeather simlar genes

guppie / mollie / endlar can mate togeather simlar genes

hell if you check out the hybrid section you will see a topic called good golly
that is where a member of this forum cross breed a mollie and a guppy!

next you will try and tell me guppies and platies can mate they simply cant

a mollie and a platy is like a dog and a cat and will never breed

how ever
a swordtail and a platy is like 2 differant breeds of simlar dogs that can will nad have bred

and
a guppie and a mollie is like the lion and tiger under theright conditions it will work
it very rarly happens but when it does they look awesome but hardly ever survive

that brings me nicly onto the liger

which again is true theres a liger and theres a tion
i think its which way they are mated depends on the name ie lion dad tiger mom = liger ( or other way not totaly sure)

anyway stop arguing ive seen one guy in here say the platie / mollie is doable over and over again
but dude your wrong sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back