Can you crossbreed a platy and molly???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ok ppl heres my understanding

swords / platy can mate togeather simlar genes

guppie / mollie / endlar can mate togeather simlar genes

hell if you check out the hybrid section you will see a topic called good golly
that is where a member of this forum cross breed a mollie and a guppy!

next you will try and tell me guppies and platies can mate they simply cant

a mollie and a platy is like a dog and a cat and will never breed

how ever
a swordtail and a platy is like 2 differant breeds of simlar dogs that can will nad have bred

and
a guppie and a mollie is like the lion and tiger under theright conditions it will work
it very rarly happens but when it does they look awesome but hardly ever survive

that brings me nicly onto the liger

which again is true theres a liger and theres a tion
i think its which way they are mated depends on the name ie lion dad tiger mom = liger ( or other way not totaly sure)

anyway stop arguing ive seen one guy in here say the platie / mollie is doable over and over again
but dude your wrong sorry.

Ditto, i've explained this many times here but it rearly in take in or belived.............

But surly diggin up a post from 2 years ago is not needed we should let this post go to sleep again now.

crossbreeding is also down to chromosome number
if two animals have the same chromosome number with the same genes involved cross breeding is an inevitability
if they have different chromosome number then the embryo ( if feertilisation occurs) would be unviable and die. As said before, human nature has a chemical reaction within the egg. it detects whether the correct species has entered it, and rejects fertilisation if the incorrect spermatozoa is present.

if they have different chromosome number then the embryo ( if feertilisation occurs) would be unviable and die.

Um...that's not quite right.
Animals with differing chromosome counts can interbreed, in mules for instance. Donkeys have 31 pairs of chromosomes while the horse has 32 pairs; the mule ends up with 63 (32 from the horse parent plus 31 from the donkey) and it is this that makes them (normally!) infertile, as they are not able to produce viable gametes by meiosis, which needs the chromosomes to pair up before the cell splits.

I have successfully breed a twin-barred platy and a balloon belly molly and they had 10 frys :lol: Unfortunately only 1 survived but its so cute. When you mix two breeds you never know whats its gonna look like, Mine is the colour of the twin-barred platy but the body shape of the balloon belly molly. Hope you get frys :rolleyes: Hope this helped

FishHobbysits

16G
5 Platy's
4 Molly's
2 Guppies
2 African Dwarf Frogs
Rock shrimp
Ghost shrimp

3.5G
Crowntail Betta

3G
Molly
:fish:

My dalmatian molly and red wag platy bred and we didn't even know about it we're 15 and there are 3 fry. Yeah i dont know how to post a picture

WAIT i found how to post a picture so here it is

Attachments

• babies.JPG
    babies.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 389
trust me they didnmt breed livebearers caan store sprem for 7 mon ths most likely thats the cause.

its like cats and dogs breeding they might mate but their young will never survice because of the shape and size difference same as with platys and mollies they are just not able to carry til birth
Platty mollie mix

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180730-125626.png
    Screenshot_20180730-125626.png
    928.2 KB · Views: 329
Platies and mollies are separate genus, they cannot interbreed.

Both are livebearers and females are able to have multiple batches of fry from a single encounter with a male... up to about 6 months or so. So, this is a case of bringing home an already impregnated female and then she gave birth when she reach full gestation... roughly 28 days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back