Buying Fish On-Line - Safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ahhh, I don't know why I had it in my head that the nitrates were important for clearing the ammonia...honestly, you'd think after sending myself googly eyed reading all the info I can find on it I'd have something like that sussed by now :dunno:.

EDIT: Off to read through it all.....again :book:.

I found a page which is The nitrogen cycle for dummies.... that me!! ...... wonder if this site can teach me!! :blush:

Haha, it's the problem when you're first setting up a tank, information overload! It makes EVERYONE go googly eyed!!!

Haha, it's the problem when you're first setting up a tank, information overload! It makes EVERYONE go googly eyed!!!

The biggest problem I find is all the conflicting information. Take the otos for instance... I read that they do well in 10g tanks and then I get told on here they dont. I used a recommended stocking calculator which takes into account the dimensions of your tank and your filter and I am told I can stock X amount of fish then I come on here and it appears the amount of fish the calculator says you can have is too much... its just confusing.

I have read that if you turn your filter up, oxygenate the water (my filter has a feature where it produces bubbles if you open a valve) well and turn the temp of the water up it helps speed up the cycle... true or false?

I imagine your water is plenty oxygenated as long as the surface of your water is rippling. Yes turning it up to 30C can help.

I know, it is frustrating for sure. I mean I've never kept otos AND I'm actually new to most of this myself but I would have thought otos were OK in your tank size wise the problem is that they need plenty of algae to eat and that can be difficult to provide for them but obviously isn't insurmountable and some will eat other foods, it's just a bit risky.

I know which website you're referring to and yeah a lot of people around here don't like it. I think it's dangerous for people who are totally clueless to how to stock a tank but for those who know a little bit about stocking and the fish they are looking at, it can use a useful tool.

I imagine your water is plenty oxygenated as long as the surface of your water is rippling. Yes turning it up to 30C can help.

I know, it is frustrating for sure. I mean I've never kept otos AND I'm actually new to most of this myself but I would have thought otos were OK in your tank size wise the problem is that they need plenty of algae to eat and that can be difficult to provide for them but obviously isn't insurmountable and some will eat other foods, it's just a bit risky.

I know which website you're referring to and yeah a lot of people around here don't like it. I think it's dangerous for people who are totally clueless to how to stock a tank but for those who know a little bit about stocking and the fish they are looking at, it can use a useful tool.

Yeah, i am not worried about the oxygen in my water. I have turned the bubbling feature on just now, but to be honest I think once fish are in it would be too powerful...not sure.

I hear what your saying about the oto's. i assumed that they'd eat algae wafers etc to top up their diet but its not a problem now as I've kind fallen for the dwarf corys, they seem to be cheeky little things (i like a bit of personality in a fish - as silly as that may sound).

Its a shame about the web site, it would be a great little tool if geared for beginners.

ugh- I am so done searching the web for information. been at it for days more or less any chance I get. I want to get this right and not have too many disasters or have to spend too much unexpected money as if I can do it all successfully then I am more likely to be able to convince the husband to let me upgrade later down the line. If I mess this up and end up spending a fortune fixing problems then he's likely to resist an upgrade more....and we dont want that do we :hey:

Definetley not! There is a lot of conflicting or just outdated information out there. I think it's how a lot of beginners end up getting confused and make mistakes!

Definetley not! There is a lot of conflicting or just outdated information out there. I think it's how a lot of beginners end up getting confused and make mistakes!

Definitely, I can see how easy it is to make mistakes. there is just so much information to take in, you can go into overload and start mixing it up...like I did earlier. :blush:

I could just scream... The ammonia is STILL 0.25ppm. Haven't tested the rest to be honest. I wonder whats going on. When I first got the filter it was processing the ammonia and now it just seems stuck! i don't understand. Did I dose too high with ammonia and kill the bacteria do you think?

this is strange...

I don't think I can really help anymore, start a new thread and explain the steps you've gone through and your readings on each day. I hope someone can help!

this is strange...

I don't think I can really help anymore, start a new thread and explain the steps you've gone through and your readings on each day. I hope someone can help!

Well all I can say is you have been amazing and never left me too long without answers, I can't thank you enough. I will start a new thread and ask soon.

lol well thanks I'm glad I could help! :D

I'm interested to see what the solution is so I'll keep an eye out for your new thread!

REadings for this morning:

Ammonia: 0.00ppm :yahoo:
Nitirte: 0.00ppm
Nitrite: 20-40ppm (in between - theres a big jump between colours)

Turns out I have been reading the ammonia test under the wrong light... I now suspect its been 0 this whole time :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back