Buying Fish On-Line - Safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hmmm, you nitrite eating bacteria should be producing nitrate for you :/ I'm not sure what's going on there and can only advise you to keep an eye on it! I still feel that you could add fish tomorrow if you wanted to, as long as you are diligent with testing and any water changes IF needed. :p sorry for repeating myself :rolleyes:

Hmmm, you nitrite eating bacteria should be producing nitrate for you :/ I'm not sure what's going on there and can only advise you to keep an eye on it! I still feel that you could add fish tomorrow if you wanted to, as long as you are diligent with testing and any water changes IF needed. :p sorry for repeating myself :rolleyes:

Is it possible the nitrate tests are faulty? Does that ever happen? I've had them since the beginning of the year, do they have an expiry date?

I will see how things go over the next 24 hours and take it from there. I will test every 12 hours and assuming the ammonia levels continue to drop like they did over night then I will see about 2-3 guppies tomorrow (enough/too much)? I am a stay at home mum so can be keeping a close eye on the water and doing any water changes required. :good:

They aren't reliable for sure lol but you should get something whether it's 100% accurate or not is another question.:p I dunno, I think your plan is a good one. We'll not worry too much about the nitrate for now :)

They aren't reliable for sure lol but you should get something whether it's 100% accurate or not is another question.:p I dunno, I think your plan is a good one. We'll not worry too much about the nitrate for now :)

:good: sounds like a good plan. I will update with tonight's results when the time comes.

Got a triop tank to clean today, hate putting my hands in the tank beside them, they're like curious underwater creepy crawlies and they are massive and like to investigate your hand!! :crazy: ...however, needs must, don't suppose my son would be all too pleased at them dying because I didn't clean their tank (he's only 7 and has autism so can't do it himself before anyone asks why i'm doing it ;) ).

Ok, so readings from tonight....

Ammonia: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 0-5ppm (closer to 5 than it is 0, was orangey rather than yellow) :good:

Will dose up to 2-3ppm again tonight and see how it is in the morning...all being well I think I will buy fish tomorrow...

what do you think 2 or 3 guppy? Is this enough, too much to start off with?

Yeah the guppies will be fine you can add more TBH. You can fully stock the tank if you want. Just make sure ammo and nitrite are both 0 before adding any fish :)

Yeah the guppies will be fine you can add more TBH. You can fully stock the tank if you want. Just make sure ammo and nitrite are both 0 before adding any fish :)

:yahoo:.

i'm still trying to work out how many of each species I can have? I'd like guppies, Endlers (IF I can find them anywhere) and later down the road I'd like an otto or two so I need to leave room for them?

Any volunteers help me work out how many of each I can have??

I am open to not getting the Endlers (given I am struggling to get them) and only have guppy and later on Otto's...I would like the otto's later on though...

Readings from this morning are a little disappointing, I think I'm going to hold fire on the fish for another day or two...what do you think?

I've added pics so that you can confirm I'm reading them right.

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Group shot (as you can I broke a test tube)

photo-25.jpg

Included this so you could see the ammonia before it broke :

photo-26.jpg

So what do you guys think? Hold fire on the fish? How long does it normally take for the nitrates to build up to a more substantial level?

Yeah hold off and only add ammonia once a day from now on :) Your fish will never produce 6 or 8ppm of ammonia in 24 hours so just dose 2 or 3 ppm :good:

I think you may just be overdoing it with the ammonia :p

Yeah hold off and only add ammonia once a day from now on :) Your fish will never produce 6 or 8ppm of ammonia in 24 hours so just dose 2 or 3 ppm :good:

I think you may just be overdoing it with the ammonia :p

I've only been dosing up to about 3ppm. I haven't added anything, want to see how long it takes to process it completely. Very disappointing :sad:

EDIT: Ahh I see you meant in 24 hours not 12. Yes I suppose your right :good: . Wonder if I should do a decent water change?

Na don't worry about a water change. It' best to just let it run its course IMO!

Na don't worry about a water change. It' best to just let it run its course IMO!

Ok. Thanks. I will continue to update every day. Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe in a couple of days it'll all be sorted.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back