Buying Fish On-Line - Safe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hey, the tank looks good! I have the very same tank

It's the 48 litre 'fishbox' by Interpet :) I managed to get the tank, filter, heater, lights, stand, EVERYTHING for £99 from pets at home, brilliant!

Hey, the tank looks good! I have the very same tank

It's the 48 litre 'fishbox' by Interpet :) I managed to get the tank, filter, heater, lights, stand, EVERYTHING for £99 from pets at home, brilliant!

That IS a great deal :good: . I was very lucky, I got this off ebay (used), it came with the stand, filter, heater ship, bog wood and plant for £40. Plus the filter was 'somewhat' cycled as you've seen from this thread...I was planning on getting fish today and then BOOM the ammonia didn't process over night like i'd have hoped for :-(

Nice little tank. :good:

Wondering how long it will be before you get another one? :hey:

:hey: you never know.... haha, My husband and I have already spoken about getting a bigger tank later on down the line. My husband only want to be able to look at a tank, but he likes BIG tanks. We will see how this tank goes and take it from there :hey: :nod:

Tonights readings:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm

I haven't added any ammonia today at all, so this is since 9pm last night where it was dosed up to 2-3ppm. Should I dose tonight or not?

Nope leave it until it's 0 - if that's tomorrow morning then it's fine :)

Nope leave it until it's 0 - if that's tomorrow morning then it's fine :)

Then do I add ammonia tomorrow morning, and if so up to 1-2ppm? I was SO hoping to be able to get fish tomorrow but it doesn't seem like its going to happen. Fingers crossed for thursday.

Water results from this morning:

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0.00ppm
Nitrate: 10.0ppm

I had just topped up the water level though, and we know that my tap water has 0.25 ammonia in it so maybe thats where the ammonia is coming from? Other than that my filter didn't process a single bit over night :huh:

hmmm yeah I still think wait until ammo is 0, it's the rule that I followed when I was cycling and I've seen it recommended by others on here sooo...the thing is, it's not going to hurt it to be at 0 for a while ya know? So just let it process everything 100% then add your 2ppm.

It's what I would do anyway!

hmmm yeah I still think wait until ammo is 0, it's the rule that I followed when I was cycling and I've seen it recommended by others on here sooo...the thing is, it's not going to hurt it to be at 0 for a while ya know? So just let it process everything 100% then add your 2ppm.

It's what I would do anyway!

At least my nitrates are *slowly* increasing. How long does it normally take for Nitrates, is it a slow process or is it a go to bed one night and *boom* in the morning they've spiked kind of process for them normally?

Just found a tiny snail in my triop tank -awww- shame they'll eat it if they find it

I dunno! Your nitrates are a mystery to me haha. I guess that plant in there is gobbling them up... :dunno:

Really? So its not normal for them to be so low for so long? hmmm....remove the plant for a couple of days to let the nitrates build? Would the plant be ok in a bucket of dechlorinated tap water? I could even add a heater if it needed it. how frustrating!! Am I right in saying that once there is a higher level of Nitrates then the ammonia will clear much quicker? Need to go re-read up on the cycle.

EDIT: i plan on going any buying a rock of some sorts tomorrow to attach the java fern so if its safe I could remove it, strip all the wool off the roots, trim it all etc and keep it in a bucket of water until I have a rock to attach it too?

You don't need the nitrates for anything (other than plants will use them) so it doesn't actually matter that they are so low!

No, I think you're getting nitrites and nitrates confused :p Have a quick read ;)

You don't need to remove your plant though

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back