Bunny went through trash!

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey peeps,
I have a 5 month old male holland lop. He escaped his pen while I was at work and got into my trash. It looks like he ate some of a spanakopita that was in there (spinach cheese pastry). Is this something that I should be concerned about? He seems to be acting just fine.

Cheese is not good for bunnies, however it isn’t fatal. It may cause some gastrointestinal issues, but seems like no ingredients in Spanikopita are fatal. I would check what kind of oil it has in it and look it up, though.

Cheese is not good for bunnies, however it isn’t fatal. It may cause some gastrointestinal issues, but seems like no ingredients in Spanikopita are fatal. I would check what kind of oil it has in it and look it up, though.
I got it from a pizza restaurant so I don't have the ingredients 🫠

Not sure where you're based but keep an eye on him and whether he continues eating, if he stops eating the sooner you can get him to a vet the better. Also watch out for any diarrhoea. Bunnies have quite fragile digestive systems so if there are any issues you should know relatively soon whether he's been negatively affected. Offer lots of hay in the meantime.

Bunnies are good at eating things they shouldn't! Hopefully he'll be no worse for wear from this.

Not sure where you're based but keep an eye on him and whether he continues eating, if he stops eating the sooner you can get him to a vet the better. Also watch out for any diarrhoea. Bunnies have quite fragile digestive systems so if there are any issues you should know relatively soon whether he's been negatively affected. Offer lots of hay in the meantime.

Bunnies are good at eating things they shouldn't! Hopefully he'll be no worse for wear from this.
Yeahhh he's my escape artist lol. He seems to be doing fine atm. Eating hay and drinking and he's in his normal relaxed positions, and still giving me kisses.

It should be fine. We used to give pizza base to the birds, rats, mice, rabbits and guinea pigs at the shop on Thursday night. They never had a problem. It's high in fat but is made from wheat flour, which is a grain they eat.

If the rabbit ate cheese, a small amount isn't a big issue because it's mostly fat. If it ate vegetables on the pizza, that is fine too as long as there were no onions because they can harm a lot of animals.

If the animal has been acting fine for a few hours after it ate the food, it should be fine.

Yeahhh he's my escape artist lol. He seems to be doing fine atm. Eating hay and drinking and he's in his normal relaxed positions, and still giving me kisses.
I love bunny kisses 😍 he clearly loves you!

One of mine got hold of some chocolate years ago and I thought she'd be a goner as it's toxic so I did take her to the vet but she was fine! They are strange though, I've had other times where they've had gut stasis but haven't eaten anything unusual whatsoever.

I always keep some oxbow critical care powder on hand, it's a recovery food that can be mixed with water and fed in cases where you're worried about their digestion.

I love bunny kisses 😍 he clearly loves you!

One of mine got hold of some chocolate years ago and I thought she'd be a goner as it's toxic so I did take her to the vet but she was fine! They are strange though, I've had other times where they've had gut stasis but haven't eaten anything unusual whatsoever.

I always keep some oxbow critical care powder on hand, it's a recovery food that can be mixed with water and fed in cases where you're worried about their digestion.
I'll look into the recovery powder! Haven't heard of it before. And he seems to love me lol! I've only had him for a month but he's getting quite attached 🤗

It should be fine. We used to give pizza base to the birds, rats, mice, rabbits and guinea pigs at the shop on Thursday night. They never had a problem. It's high in fat but is made from wheat flour, which is a grain they eat.

If the rabbit ate cheese, a small amount isn't a big issue because it's mostly fat. If it ate vegetables on the pizza, that is fine too as long as there were no onions because they can harm a lot of animals.

If the animal has been acting fine for a few hours after it ate the food, it should be fine.
It may have had onion, I'm not sure. Spinach I know is fine for bunnies and it had feta cheese but I don't think he ate much of it anyway. And he's still acting normal

I'll look into the recovery powder! Haven't heard of it before. And he seems to love me lol! I've only had him for a month but he's getting quite attached 🤗
It's always worth having a first aid kit for rabbits, they're good at getting into mischief! They all have such great personalities, much more than people give them credit for.

I would look into making his hutch or whatever you've got him in more secure if he's managing to escape it. Today it's the rubbish bin, tomorrow it's electrical wires

One practical thing to consider as we go into the weekend with limited vet cover. If your bunny starts to show any sign of issues (being aware they are a prey animal and very good at hiding any illness / distress), then take them into your vet asap. Bunnies go down hill very quickly and you don’t want a huge out of hour bill from your vet.
The amount of rabbits we used to see at 10pm at night was crazy and the OOH charges reflect the fact it is OOH.

Sorry to be the practical one.

One practical thing to consider as we go into the weekend with limited vet cover. If your bunny starts to show any sign of issues (being aware they are a prey animal and very good at hiding any illness / distress), then take them into your vet asap. Bunnies go down hill very quickly and you don’t want a huge out of hour bill from your vet.
The amount of rabbits we used to see at 10pm at night was crazy and the OOH charges reflect the fact it is OOH.

100% agree with this! (Speaking from painful experience of those out of hours charges!)

I've been looking into pet insurance for him, but haven't been able to find a good one yet

I would look into making his hutch or whatever you've got him in more secure if he's managing to escape it. Today it's the rubbish bin, tomorrow it's electrical wires
Yes definitely. I'm moving shortly and once that happens, I'll be able to set his pen up in a more secure way

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back