Breeding White Cloud Minnows In A Community Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robhill27

Reaction score
Would White Cloud Mountain Minnows breed in a community tank with corydoras, dwarf gouramis, rams and neon tetras?

I would like to have a go at breeding them as I have heard it is really easy.

Any advice?

Cheers.

Would White Cloud Mountain Minnows breed in a community tank with corydoras, dwarf gouramis, rams and neon tetras?

Any advice?

Cheers.
If they're anything like my zebra danios all they do is lay eggs, which hatch, but my siamese fighter chomps them down :p

They will spawn easily, given a strong current, good water conditions and a cooler temperature, but with adult fish in there, the eggs won't last long. Best thing you can do is change to a marbles as a substrate, to gve them somewhare to hide an possible survive, but this won't be overly corry friendly.

HTH
Rabbut

Mine seemed to breed for the first week i got them...then nothing since.Which is odd.

Cooler water encourages their breeding...so does water changes (not sure why).

Any advice?

Cheers.

I know this is an old post but other people might find it helpful.

It do not have relatively cool water in my tank but yet my WCM breed frequently. I would suggest doing a 40 percent water change to mimic the dry season and fill it up with cooler water to mimic the rains. I would also feed them frozen foods or live foods while they are breeding.

Thick plants such as Java moss are very helpful. In my tank, there are two dominant males. These males are always chasing the females during breeding. This leaves very little time for fertilization. Java moss and other thick plants can help with this by providing a shelter where the couple can do their business in peace without another fish intervening. The eggs of WCM are sticky and stick to the surface they fall on (most of the time). This is another reason why Java moss is helpful because of its dense foliage.

I agree rabbut about the gravel. The tank for the WCM and some other fish has gravel as a substrate. This helps the fry out greatly because they hatch out not swimming. This can also pose a problem when you have other fish because their strategy of escaping a hungry fish is swimming a few inches off the ground and floating back. The newly hatched fry also don't seem to have a sense of direction. If the fry survive this hard time in their life, they are faced with another problem, more fish and food. If you have midwater fish the fry will almost definitely get eaten by the other fish while trying to get food. If they do make the safer move and stay under a leaf. It will be hard for them to get food without getting eaten

My point is, fry of almost any fish are faced with many challenges and it is hard to get all of the, to survive. In the end, maybe 2 out of 10 will survive but even this is not very likely. It is worth the try though!

I sort of have the same question, but with a twist.
In my community tank, I have one of those clear floating breeder boxes with the V divider shelf on bottom. Like for guppies. I took out the V part and put in some java fern and added 6 WCMs.
Nothing yet. Wondering if I can leave the adults in there a few days and then remove them hoping eggs are in there, will hatch, and I can keep fry in there until big enough to release in community tank.
?
Also, I cannot find anywhere what these eggs look like, how big, can you see then with naked eye? How many should I expect to see - 5, 10, 20?
Thanks

The eggs are tiny, the parents don't care about the eggs or fry. The fry sit on the top of the tank, the parent's underneath them. As the fry grow, they drop down with the adults. Not a breeding box fish though. These guys need space lots of space, 250 liters plus if you are going to raise young

I’ve had em on and off for 35yrs in community tanks and never seen eggs.
I was thinking of try itiwhetus method of putting them outside this summer in an above ground pond (timber clad 1000L food grade plastic water storage tank) but I’ll not have the time to set it up this year. Maybe next summer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back