Boyu Tl-550

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nottosalty

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Newbee here and just purchased the Boyu TL-550 which is a great tank.I purchased the tank second hand.With it came a boyu skimmer wg 308 and a uv steralising unit.
2 questions:Is it me,or is this skimmer a pain in the butt?As every time i try and fit it in the r/h chamber at the back of the tank it comes apart as it is only a push in(why did they not make them a screw in!)and the overflow cup then fills with water.
Is there a way of doing it?Thought about silicon sealing it so it stays on.

Anyway,my other question is regarding the steralising unit.As you look at the tank from the front,on the left hand side glass there is a small black box with a red light on it.I just want someone to tell me if this black box with the red light on is A,the uv unit and B,in the right place?

Im probably gonna be on here a lot as i get to learn more and more

Speak soon Guys

:hi: Great place to start. I wish I could answer you. That seems to be a very specific question to that tank. Search it. Welcome. SH

Sounds like you are trying to put the skimmer in to low the cup needs to be as high in the tank as possible there should be a clip on the side that allows you to adjust its height within the chamber the cup on mine used to be a few mm under the lid once closed.

Hi there,

in exactly the same boat as me, I got a 2nd hand 550 with the same skimmer.

The skimmer is fiddly and I've only just put in cuc, so my skimmer isnt really pulling out too much junk.
The cup needs to stand quite far out of the water, almost to the point where the top suction cup isnt doing anything. Just adjust the clip to make it sit high up.

For emptying the cup I use one finger to push the body against the chamber wall and then gently twist the cup. It's the only way I find it comes out goes in without too much force.

It is the uv unit, mine is on the floor at the mo, so anyone else with info on where the box needs to be placed will be educating me also!

The Boyu skimmer is not an amazing it does the job on the orca fine though as long as the stocking remains reasonable 5 - 6 smallish fish

The skimate on mine was never thick always slightly watery and needed cleaning ecery 3 - 4 days.

I never switched the UV on my tank never had the need for it had the box stuck to the underside of the stand out of the way it could be switched on if I needed it.

The Boyu skimmer is not an amazing it does the job on the orca fine though as long as the stocking remains reasonable 5 - 6 smallish fish

The skimate on mine was never thick always slightly watery and needed cleaning ecery 3 - 4 days.

I never switched the UV on my tank never had the need for it had the box stuck to the underside of the stand out of the way it could be switched on if I needed it.

Regarding the skimmer is was put up quite high and clipped but it always managed to pull apart and the cup would fill up with water.
Ive just purchased some silicon sealent so im going to seal the two parts together and i`ll let you all know how that works.
Regarding the uv unit,i just thought the box had to be placed on a certain part of the tank.Does the box do anything?As looking at it theres a wire that leads from the box going to the top l/h side of the tank where the spray bar is situated and goes down that compartment.If the box is doing nothing i can stick that to the back of the tank out of view,You can tell im a newbee at marines cant you,but its all good,interesting fun.

Regards

You can stick the box anywhere you like :p it will not effect how it works. I kept mine on all the time but to be honest I didn't know any better when I first started out - wouldn't have it on now though :good:

The skimmer might need to be turned down a bit (the air intake) - as already said its not the greatest in the world but it does do the job

Anyways :hi: to TFF and the salty side of life - looing forward to seeing your photos and watching your journey

Seffie x

Hi there,

in exactly the same boat as me, I got a 2nd hand 550 with the same skimmer.

The skimmer is fiddly and I've only just put in cuc, so my skimmer isnt really pulling out too much junk.
The cup needs to stand quite far out of the water, almost to the point where the top suction cup isnt doing anything. Just adjust the clip to make it sit high up.

For emptying the cup I use one finger to push the body against the chamber wall and then gently twist the cup. It's the only way I find it comes out goes in without too much force.

It is the uv unit, mine is on the floor at the mo, so anyone else with info on where the box needs to be placed will be educating me also!

Hi fish fanatic

How often do you water change your 550 and by how much.Ive read online that once a week and by around 25 litres should be ok.Would you say this is about rite?

25 Litres a week might be a bit much I would aim around 10 - 12 Litres thats roughly 10% :)

Agreed - I doing a bucket a week. Most hold around 10 litres.
Just slap a cheap heater and powerhead in them for 24 hrs to heat and mix

it's the easiest way I find

Agreed - I doing a bucket a week. Most hold around 10 litres.
Just slap a cheap heater and powerhead in them for 24 hrs to heat and mix

it's the easiest way I find

Ok,thats great.Im buying RO water from my local aquatics store(erdington aquatics)already salted,£7 for 25 litres,bargain.So i would not need a powerhead to mix would i?only a heater!

Regarding filter media.Bioballs,ceramic noodles and foam,ive been reading on the forum and the general census seems to be is to get shot of all that and just have pieces of live rock in all 3 chambers,is that correct?This must be natural filtration

Where the skimmer sits is a foam block underneath,then next compartment is ceramic noodles then the heater compartment and lastly bioballs in other compartment.

If so do you fill the chambers completely full up to the level of the water with broken pieces of live rock,except the skimmer comp?

Thanks

In my chambers I have, from right to left...

Skimmer, foam removed
live rock, then bag of rowaphos, bag of activated carbon. Foam removed. (all this takes it to half to 2/3 full)
Empty apart from heater
return pump and uv

you can put filter wool in with the heater to take out rubbish when seting up the tank,
some even put in cheato with LEDs, but mine just has the heater in.

Hth

In my chambers I have, from right to left...

Skimmer, foam removed
live rock, then bag of rowaphos, bag of activated carbon. Foam removed. (all this takes it to half to 2/3 full)
Empty apart from heater
return pump and uv

you can put filter wool in with the heater to take out rubbish when seting up the tank,
some even put in cheato with LEDs, but mine just has the heater in.

Hth
So is that rowaphos in the same compartment as skimmer?Or from right to left,skimmer in comp1 with live rock.comp 2,bag of rowaphos and a bag of activated carbon??

Right-to-Left

In C1, there's only the skimmer.
In C2, at the bottom is rock, on top of that is Rowaphos, the topped with carbon.
In C3, just a heater.
In C4 the return pump and UV.

All my filtration media is in C2.

Right-to-Left

In C1, there's only the skimmer.
In C2, at the bottom is rock, on top of that is Rowaphos, the topped with carbon.
In C3, just a heater.
In C4 the return pump and UV.

All my filtration media is in C2.
And that,together with a 10% water change per week keeps your water crystal clear?Do you have any coral?Would love to see an image of your tank if possible!
Thanks for all the info
Regards

Most reactions

Back