Bottom feeders for nano tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do these snails breed?? They look interesting, do they keep generally small?
I'm only worried that they will take over my tank and I don't want a tank full of snails :/

Thanks, I think I will leave my betta in peace for now and focus on more plant growth I don't want him to be nipped at or jealous of other fish in his tank Maybe after in future if I went bigger with a tank I'll experiment :)
good luck with the tank Always interested me serority tanks!
if you get assassin snails remember you cant get any other snails, idk if they will eat shrimp (I think they will) but they will eat other snails.
Also in a tank over 10G's I would say you can have the betta with some shrimp an tetras even if you wanted. but in a 5 gallon, that's basically the minimum for a betta so all that tank is his, since its so small. Also gratz on making a very successful thread lol

Do these snails breed?? They look interesting, do they keep generally small?
I'm only worried that they will take over my tank and I don't want a tank full of snails :/
don't take this for the pure truth but I do think they breed asexually, so when you get one, they breed just by themselves so. that's why I don't like them, after like a week they just invade EVERYTHING

I had an assassin that was a hitch hiker on a plant when I set up my 6 gallon fluval Edge.
I can attest to the fact they they reproduce all by themselves as he's the only snail I had until he passed away. He/she had many babies but they never made it to even close to adulthood. I assume he ate them shells and all as they always disappeared within a few days. So if you get one I don't think you have much to worry about....unless mine was just the worst parent ever. Ha

Nerites are my suggestion. I have a small nerite snail in the same tank as my betta, and the tank is just about the same size as the Edge. Even with a male and female, they may lay eggs but they can't hatch in fresh water so no chance of being over run with snails. Of course you do get sesame seed like eggs everywhere. They can be scraped off glass and other hard things but not wood.
My betta ignores the snail unless it is on the glass when he flares at it till it crawls away.

Kerryjoy's location is Essex, so the UK. The EU has seen fit to ban the import and distribution of apple snails - what others call mystery snails - so these are not an option unless you can find someone who breeds them locally.

No Assassin snails do not reproduce asexually, They have a distinct male and female and obviously you need both.

Also in a tank over 10G's I would say you can have the betta with some shrimp an tetras even if you wanted. but in a 5 gallon
No you can't, Bettas are solitary fish and Tetras are nippy and may attack the Bettas tail.

No Assassin snails do not reproduce asexually, They have a distinct male and female and obviously you need both.

No you can't, Bettas are solitary fish and Tetras are nippy and may attack the Bettas tail.
that's not necisarily true, they don't "always nip his tail" ive had tetras with a male betta for 2 years, no problems (in a 65 gallon tank before it was taken down) so I have to disagree with that statement. also I said, since you didn't read the whole post. if the shrimp where in the tank before the betta it will usually be alright, he may pick off 1 or 2 but that's mainly it, I prefer cherry shrimp (for that situation) as they breed regularly.
I said-
" Also in a tank over 10G's I would say you can have the betta with some shrimp an tetras even if you wanted. but in a 5 gallon, that's basically the minimum for a betta so all that tank is his, since its so small. Also gratz on making a very successful thread lol"
So if you read that whole post you would know what I was saying and stated, that if shrimp where in a 10 gallon tank with tetras and later on when the betta came into the tank (with hiding spots) he would be ok and would only *as I said* pick of a few shrimp, the tetras would most likely not nip at him, even if he died he would go to hiding spots, if provided, if not then that's an issue.

Problem is betta temperment difers from fish to fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've never read up on their reproduction but it did certainly baffle me that my one lone assassin snail laid eggs which turned into baby assassins. They were perfect little replicas of the parent.

None of those babies ever made it as they all got eaten, shell and all from what I'm assuming was it's parent. I don't think my endlers could have eaten even a teeny snail like that, although I could be wrong. I never saw them go near them.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    FullSizeRender 7.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 219
Nerites are my suggestion. I have a small nerite snail in the same tank as my betta, and the tank is just about the same size as the Edge. Even with a male and female, they may lay eggs but they can't hatch in fresh water so no chance of being over run with snails. Of course you do get sesame seed like eggs everywhere. They can be scraped off glass and other hard things but not wood.

A nerite would be my suggestion also. I bought one after my assassin passed away as I wanted another snail but did not want babies. Having a 6 gallon Edge I don't want too many of anything and want to be able to control my numbers. I didn't want the eggs either as I've heard they can be hard to remove and ugly looking.

Having just one means that they may lay eggs in the beginning but knowing they can't breed will eventually stop.

Mine, however never even laid any eggs at all and has been a wonderful (and very helpful) little inhabitant/cleaner. I adore it! And there are some very pretty ones!

don't take this for the pure truth but I do think they breed asexually, so when you get one, they breed just by themselves so. that's why I don't like them, after like a week they just invade EVERYTHING

I agree, I did read up on a few different snail breeds and seen that they still do lay eggs :/ I'm a bit limited really on what I can do :/

I've never read up on their reproduction but it did certainly baffle me that my one lone assassin snail laid eggs which turned into baby assassins. They were perfect little replicas of the parent.

None of those babies ever made it as they all got eaten, shell and all from what I'm assuming was it's parent. I don't think my endlers could have eaten even a teeny snail like that, although I could be wrong. I never saw them go near them.

Thanks for the info, that's what I'm worried about with snails, them getting out of control in numbers :/

A nerite would be my suggestion also. I bought one after my assassin passed away as I wanted another snail but did not want babies. Having a 6 gallon Edge I don't want too many of anything and want to be able to control my numbers. I didn't want the eggs either as I've heard they can be hard to remove and ugly looking.

Having just one means that they may lay eggs in the beginning but knowing they can't breed will eventually stop.

Mine, however never even laid any eggs at all and has been a wonderful (and very helpful) little inhabitant/cleaner. I adore it! And there are some very pretty ones!

Thanks I will look into this snail type defiantly, I need some type of clean up crew in my tank and shrimp may not be the best option at the moment with my betta!

if you get assassin snails remember you cant get any other snails, idk if they will eat shrimp (I think they will) but they will eat other snails.
Also in a tank over 10G's I would say you can have the betta with some shrimp an tetras even if you wanted. but in a 5 gallon, that's basically the minimum for a betta so all that tank is his, since its so small. Also gratz on making a very successful thread lol

I think I will move on to a 10g in the near future, if not for more options of species! He enjoys the tank so that's all that counts for now, I'll focus on growing more plants ATM Oh and look into snails and read more information.

Thanks lol!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back