Bioload Question

Okay, so in summary my list of things to do is:

- Increase school/shoal sizes
- Attach ferns to rocks/wood
- Figure out stocking problems/ideas

The last one is the hardest considering I have such a list of requirements. The fish canā€™t be too small or too aggressive, canā€™t be a risk to the betta or themselves, needs to fit in a 15 gallon vertical tank, and be okay with slightly more acidic waters (5.5-7.5)?

Can you tell us the width and depth (front to back) of the tank. Swimming length is important to fish.

I disagree with the to-do list. Those tanks are very frustrating ones.
Yes, they hold 15 gallons, but with the base size of a tank between 5 and 10 gallons - closer to five. Fish are forced to hover. If you and I are put in a 10 foot by 5 foot room, with a 40 foot ceiling, or the same room with an 8 foot ceiling, are we really ahead in terms of living space?
In calculating stocking for tanks under 3 foot across, gallons don't matter. To me, stocking wise, a 24 inch 15 gallon is the same as a 24 inch 20 or 25 gallon. I'd argue you're already overstocked.
No one likes to read that, and I can easily be ignored. We all want a million beautiful fish in our small tanks.

I disagree with the to-do list. Those tanks are very frustrating ones.
Yes, they hold 15 gallons, but with the base size of a tank between 5 and 10 gallons - closer to five. Fish are forced to hover. If you and I are put in a 10 foot by 5 foot room, with a 40 foot ceiling, or the same room with an 8 foot ceiling, are we really ahead in terms of living space?
In calculating stocking for tanks under 3 foot across, gallons don't matter. To me, stocking wise, a 24 inch 15 gallon is the same as a 24 inch 20 or 25 gallon. I'd argue you're already overstocked.
No one likes to read that, and I can easily be ignored. We all want a million beautiful fish in our small tanks.
Ohhhhh I get that. Alright, will do! I am considering buying a 25 gallon longer tank as Iā€™ve always wanted kuhli loaches. Thanks! Iā€™ll probably stick with what I have already then.

Good update! Iā€™m sending some of the fish over to live with a friend, so itā€™ll be just the betta and the corydoras after Tuesday. Iā€™ll probably look at getting pencilfish or guppies, not sure yet though and Iā€™d love some advice/ideas. As soon as my next paycheck comes in I also plan to get a 5 gallon so the betta can be by himself. I think heā€™d be happier like that.

Not guppies with a betta. Guppies look too much like male bettas. I was in a store a few years ago where they had a betta in the guppy tank. Every guppy had bits missing t=form their tails. As I watched, the betta singled out a guppy, herded it into the corner of the tank and ripped a piece off its tail. I told the shop owner who promptly removed the betta.

Not guppies with a betta. Guppies look too much like male bettas. I was in a store a few years ago where they had a betta in the guppy tank. Every guppy had bits missing t=form their tails. As I watched, the betta singled out a guppy, herded it into the corner of the tank and ripped a piece off its tail. I told the shop owner who promptly removed the betta.
Big yikes, thatā€™s good to know. Iā€™ll wait on the guppies until I can move the betta to his own tank.

I do love to daydream, though. What are your favorite kinds of guppies?

Most reactions

trending

Back