Bioload Question

Ameris

Reaction score
I have this 15 gallon vertical tank, fully planted with three kinds of fern and some pothos at the top. Itā€™s cycled and everything and the water readings are coming out fine. In it are four harlequin rasboras, three corydoras, and a betta. (Iā€™m not having any issues with his aggression he doesnā€™t mind the other fish)

I was thinking about maybe getting some shrimp but Iā€™m not sure if the tank can handle that as Iā€™m not experienced with stocking. Opinions, recommendation, etc would be appreciated! IMG_4276.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg

nice little tank there... I have one tank with terrestrial plants & shrimp ( love both )... I have had shrimp climb out of this particular tank, & it's a 45 tall... so not sure if you would see that happen more on a smaller tank...
I doubt, that a few shrimp would push you over the limit... but if you added an air stone below your pothos, you would get more circulation, & your pothos will actually pull more out of the water ( seems to make a difference on my tanks ) so it you wanting to stay the same, & you noticed your water going south, a tiny air pump & stone or sponge filter would help a lot...

The bioload produced would be minimum, But I think they could fall in the crosshair of your betta.

There is no way to know without trying. Maybe add a couple shrimp domes or cholla wood pieces and a bunch of moss could help with hiding places.

A shrimp population will usually be able to withstand a Betta picking off the occasional individual just fine. as long as there is enough hiding places out of his reach to maintain a descent number of them.

Fed the fish this morning and headed to school, when I got back 8 hours later I realized one of my four harlequin rasboras was gone.

I introduced a new betta to the aquarium yesterday, and I suspect he was the culprit, but outside of the missing fish he hasnā€™t shown any signs of aggression and actually seems pretty shy. Maybe he just got hungry?

Apart from that, I rescaped a little bit and added some wood to the tank, along with rearranging some plants to provide more hiding places for the betta and the corydoras.
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg
IMG_4289.jpeg
I took this lovely picture of the betta today as well! He still needs a name.
IMG_4272.jpeg
As for plans for the future, Iā€™d like to get 3-5 more rasboras so their school isnā€™t so pitiful. I was thinking about getting some shrimp as well! I have one of those leaf hammocks coming in the mail for the betta to rest on, too.

I have this 15 gallon vertical tank, fully planted with three kinds of fern and some pothos at the top. Itā€™s cycled and everything and the water readings are coming out fine. In it are four harlequin rasboras, three corydoras, and a betta. (Iā€™m not having any issues with his aggression he doesnā€™t mind the other fish)

I was thinking about maybe getting some shrimp but Iā€™m not sure if the tank can handle that as Iā€™m not experienced with stocking. Opinions, recommendation, etc would be appreciated!View attachment 334480View attachment 334481
Your tank looks great! just a few adjustments you need to change. Your java ferns should be attached to rock or driftwood. Leaving them buried under the substrate is gona rot your rhizome and kill your fern plant. With circulation of more disolved oxygen you would increase the chances of your add ons to the tank. Seeing the dimensions of your tank, I would recommend a pair of top level to mid level dwelling nano-stomus / hemi-stomus fish.

Not thinking about the bioload as such, but I think both the harliquins and corys would benifit from a larger number. They are both schooling/shoaling fish and feel safer and more comfortable in large numbers.

As to shrimp, I don't think the bioload would increase by much, but if you were worried you could increase your water changes. What sort of shrimp? The general rule is, if it could fit in it's mouth, the beta'll eat them. Amanos might work, or large cherries, but any babies or small ones aren't going to last long.

Last edited:
Not thinking about the bioload as such, but I think both the harliquins and corys would benifit from a larger number. They are both schooling/shoaling fish and feel safer and more comfortable in large numbers.

As to shrimp, I don't think the bioload would increase by much, but if you were worried you could increase your water changes. What sort of shrimp? The general rule is, if it could fit in it's mouth, the beta'll eat them. Amanos might work, or large cherries, but any babies or small ones aren't going to last long.
Iā€™m planning to go get three to five more harlequins this week, and probably two more corys. I was thinking maybe cherries? Iā€™ve only ever had ghost shrimp in the past (as they were labeled at the store, not sure if they have another name), so I would have to do more research.

Your tank looks great! just a few adjustments you need to change. Your java ferns should be attached to rock or driftwood. Leaving them buried under the substrate is gona rot your rhizome and kill your fern plant. With circulation of more disolved oxygen you would increase the chances of your add ons to the tank. Seeing the dimensions of your tank, I would recommend a pair of top level to mid level dwelling nano-stomus / hemi-stomus fish.
Ooohhh thanks for the ideas!! How would you attach the ferns? Should I attach the other ones too? Itā€™s el niƱo ferns in the background, and everything else is java or windelov. Funny enough, I was looking at getting some pencilfish but I wasnā€™t sure how theyā€™d get along with the others.

Last edited:
Ooohhh thanks for the ideas!! How would you attach the ferns? Should I attach the other ones too? Itā€™s el niƱo ferns in the background, and everything else is java or windelov. Funny enough, I was looking at getting some pencilfish but I wasnā€™t sure how theyā€™d get along with the others.
Pencil fish are good community fish so you wouldn't have any headaches or stress with the others.
How would you attach the ferns? Should I attach the other ones too?
Attache the rhizome of the plant with super glue, thread or fishline. If the other el nino has a rhizome follow the same and you will be saving the plants.

What is the width of the tank? It looks quite narrow compared to the height. If it's as narrow as it look, most of the fish which have been suggested are not suitable for this tank as they need longer swimming length.

You said you suspect the betta is responsible for the missing harlequin. It is known for fish to behave perfectly while being being watched then tear chunks out of each other when you leave the room. I would not add any other fish to the tank while there is a betta in it.

I've had Bettas scavenge dead tankmates, but in 5 decades of keeping them off and on, they never ate a tankmate. They are insect eaters, not fish eaters. So if the harlequin didn't jump out, it's in the decor affecting water quality. The best scaped tanks get changed when you have to go looking for a body.

What is the width of the tank? It looks quite narrow compared to the height. If it's as narrow as it look, most of the fish which have been suggested are not suitable for this tank as they need longer swimming length.

You said you suspect the betta is responsible for the missing harlequin. It is known for fish to behave perfectly while being being watched then tear chunks out of each other when you leave the room. I would not add any other fish to the tank while there is a betta in it.
Iā€™ll measure it once I get home. It is mostly vertical, which obviously causes problems with stocking. There arenā€™t really any fish that swim vertically, so Iā€™ve been trying to only stock it with fish that are okay with a smaller tank, but Iā€™m young and itā€™s definitely a learning experience!

I've had Bettas scavenge dead tankmates, but in 5 decades of keeping them off and on, they never ate a tankmate. They are insect eaters, not fish eaters. So if the harlequin didn't jump out, it's in the decor affecting water quality. The best scaped tanks get changed when you have to go looking for a body.
Iā€™m thinking it did and got scavenged (admittedly really cleanly scavenged.) I rescaped yesterday after searching to find a body and found absolutely no sign of one. :ā€™)

Iā€™ll measure it once I get home. It is mostly vertical, which obviously causes problems with stocking. There arenā€™t really any fish that swim vertically, so Iā€™ve been trying to only stock it with fish that are okay with a smaller tank, but Iā€™m young and itā€™s definitely a learning experience!
You could try a penguin tetra.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back