Betta with missing scales

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Dnee1977

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased an adult male Betta a week ago (Ninja). I bought him because Iā€™ve never seen a black Betta with sky blue tints in its finnage. Anyways, I bought him even though he has some missing scales on his head. He is temporarily in a 2.5 gallon tank just in case I need to use meds. (I have a 5 gallon tank for him that is already cycled).
Heā€™s eating well, swimming normally, no cottony looking stuff where his scales are missing.
How long does it take for Betta scales to grow back? Is there anything I should be doing?

Attachments

• BFC69901-262B-4192-8D58-2C9FC0824B90.jpeg
    BFC69901-262B-4192-8D58-2C9FC0824B90.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 582527FC-F34E-470B-92AE-2CB6C8838A6C.jpeg
    582527FC-F34E-470B-92AE-2CB6C8838A6C.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 392
  • CF371E78-50CA-4ABF-B7E7-6BF2BE32AC13.jpeg
    CF371E78-50CA-4ABF-B7E7-6BF2BE32AC13.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 639
Hi, I purchased an adult male Betta a week ago (Ninja). I bought him because Iā€™ve never seen a black Betta with sky blue tints in its finnage. Anyways, I bought him even though he has some missing scales on his head. He is temporarily in a 2.5 gallon tank just in case I need to use meds. (I have a 5 gallon tank for him that is already cycled).
Heā€™s eating well, swimming normally, no cottony looking stuff where his scales are missing.
How long does it take for Betta scales to grow back? Is there anything I should be doing?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your Betta is very cute! I am sorry to hear of your difficulties. Iā€™ve not had much experience with Betta fish myself so maybe other members can advice further. Hopefully with pristine water and frequent changes he will heal. Is the 2.5g cycled? Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Yes the tank is cycled. It was home for one of my baby female Bettas who has now reached adulthood and was moved to my community tank.

Thank you for your reply. Yes the tank is cycled. It was home for one of my baby female Bettas who has now reached adulthood and was moved to my community tank.

As the tank is cycled this is a positive factor. I imagine he will heal over a period of a few weeks or more. I would make sure there is nothing else that there is nothing else in the tank he could hurt himself on. Sharp edges or corners etc. It appears you have live plants from the photographs which is also a good sign. Best of luck.

He may be a piebald looking at his colouration I would say this is most likely in which case his paler head is perfectly normal rather than scales missing. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, he may change colour completely as could be marble too just keep his water warm and clean and he should be fine :)

Thank You both of you! I appreciate you taking the time to help! Mahalo!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back