betta breading help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noobie101

Reaction score
I have recently sign up up for this site to get some tips and pointers about breading bettas so my question is what is the best betta for me starting out as a breader

I have recently sign up up for this site to get some tips and pointers about breading bettas so my question is what is the best betta for me starting out as a breader
Breeder*, have you even kept betta? How experienced are you in this hobby? Do you have the necessary breeding tanks as well as a way to give away the fry when they get older?

Betta are very territorial fish. A male will often kill a female when you put them in the same tank UNLESS he's interested in breeding. Even then he might rough her up a bit. Introducing these fish to each other has to be done very carefully, and then they cant be kept together once the process is done. Breeding betta is no small task, the amount of fry they produce can overwhelm you very quickly and result in mass fish death if you are not prepared. I highly suggest you research this topic yourself and make sure you are prepared to take on this responsibility both mentally and financially. Thats my advice to you.

Last edited:
I agree with FroFro. You need a lot of tanks to breed a single pair of bettas. A tank for the male, a tank for the female, a spawning tank, and a lot of small tanks, one each for every male fry. Male fry need to be separated once they get old enough to fight while female fry can be kept together in the spawning tank for longer.

What is your fish keeping history? Are you trying to breed them for profit or for fun? If this is your first time keeping bettas or breeding fish altogether then I say choose something else to breed. Same for if you want to get money out of it. You need to have a lot of spare time and money to successfully breed a good line of betta splendens. Live bearers and many cichlid species are far easier to breed than bettas.

Betta splendens are difficult to breed, I've tried a number of times and failed for the most part. If you are set on breeding bettas, choose a different species. The wild types are usually more sensitive to water parameters but otherwise they seem a fair bit easier to breed as many will form a pair and the male with become the main caretaker (look up mouth brooding bettas).

thanks for all your feed back, I have had bettas my whole life I do have all the proper equipment I have have put in a lot of time trying to find out how to keep a lot of the fry healthy but one thing that stumps me is which kind do I start with to ensure that I am sucessful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back