before fish questions

vantgE

I know you agree
Reaction score
have a fish pond probally about 300 gallons, has a small filter attached to a 300 gph pump the pump runs a small water fountain and then throgh a tube and out of and into a bucket the tube runs through an old hand pump for decor then the bucket will pour into the pond.

enough filtration?
What if i added media to the bucket? so it would work like a sump system maybe?
enough water flow?
Are rudd comon in fish stores? or is their another common non-minow sized non-goldfish fish that will work in the pond?
Is a substrate needed?
heater to keep fish theough winter needed?

thanks

:huh: Nppmr can help me with that?

nother q though will fish eat the earthworms that keep crawlin in?

:lol: thats a lot of questions

how deep is your pond ?

what does Nppmr mean ?

if the outlet from the pump is churning up the water creating airflow it should be ok
medium in the bucket will help strain out large bits and bobs

what do you mean by non minnow ie large fish ??

something on the bottom is recommended i use pea shingle with a few large rocks for good measure

heater depends on depth

Thanks bribones

The pond depth is 20inches
I don't know what Nppmr means, hmm does seem like some sort a acrynim though
Yes i mean larger sized fish
Will a small amount of sand work? for substrate

well the fish will be in in two days so if there is anything please say, don't think were putting anything on the bottom, I know it's just a small boreing pond but...

20" deep may require some kind of heater

playpit sand/silver sand will work as substrate

300gallon dont try to overstock it

koi are large when fully grown as are tench and golden orfe dont know about rudd

Nppmr might be nitrates ph etc you casn buy a 5-1 test kit to sort that out

20" may be abit on the shallow side for Canada so you may need a heater. Koi and Orfe are far to big for that pond so I would limit yourself to Minnows, Rudd, Tench, Gudgeon, Weather Loaches.........Good Luck. :)

okay thanks for replying buying fish today

could a small fish tank heater work those huge pond ones are expensive, and all i need to do is heat a small area to about 4 degrees?? right?

And anybody know if there is such thing as a pond fish store, cause at the lfs all there is are goldfish and wheather loaches, do the loaches get big?
I have never seen anything other than picture of all these fish you show

vantgE said:
okay thanks for replying buying fish today

could a small fish tank heater work those huge pond ones are expensive, and all i need to do is heat a small area to about 4 degrees?? right?

And anybody know if there is such thing as a pond fish store, cause at the lfs all there is are goldfish and wheather loaches, do the loaches get big?
Have never seen anything other than picture of all these fish you show
I have owned or own all of the fish I show. :) Most common are the Common, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Cantor) and Spotted, Cobitis taenia (Linnaeus) Dojos or Weatherfishes. They are often called "living barometers" of their increased activity at the approach of changing weather. These fishes are pressure-sensitive, swimming about more if it?s about to rain for instance.

The Common Dojo/Weatherfish is drab to light brown naturally, though there are "Golden" Dojos (xanthistic varieties, not albinos) that are human-produced. This species attains a maximum length of about twelve inches. The Spotted Dojo or Weatherfish only reaches a natural length of six inches. Both are excellent scavengers. They should be kept with their own species. I tank heater for 250-300 gallons would be fine providing the wire couldn't freeze if that has any effect?
:thumbs:

And anybody know if there is such thing as a pond fish store

your best bet is one of the larger garden retail outlets,i get most my fish at one as the lfs only deals in goldfish and small koi

20" may be abit on the shallow side for Canada so you may need a heater

didnt i say that :rofl:

a heater made for a large tank would work ok ,one of those variable types

bribones said:
And anybody know if there is such thing as a pond fish store

your best bet is one of the larger garden retail outlets,i get most my fish at one as the lfs only deals in goldfish and small koi

20" may be abit on the shallow side for Canada so you may need a heater

didnt i say that :rofl:

a heater made for a large tank would work ok ,one of those variable types
I was agreeing with you. :)

so if i get wheather loaches i can't get any other fish? will they want rocks to suck on?

okay wait i'm confused the pick here

http://www.thejump.net/id/oriental-weatherfish.htm

is not what i thought it was what are those little one inch things that suck on the glass in the fish stores i think their the wheather loaches cheese has, not suposed to be real loach ones i think just a little confused is that what they turn into

thanks for all the help again

anything eat earthworms?

I think you mean Hillstream Loaches? Which require fast flowing well oxygenated water with flat broad surfaces for the growth of micro organisms on which they food but they aren't really suitable to outdoor life in Canada I am afraid. You can keep other fish with the Weather Loaches. :)

okay thanks again ryan, that is right we'l check for the weather loaches but I don't think there is any

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back