Axolotls - Can You Keep Them In A Community Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there, i know this seems like a silly question but i thoughi would ask anyway. I imagine they would eat my neon tetras and possibly my platies, how ever i think my rtbs, pearl gourami's and bristlenosed plec would be too big. If anyone has any info on Axolotls or on the possibility of keepng them in a community tank then i would love to know what you think.

Many Thanks.

Nope, sorry!
Firstly, theyre coldwater and secondly they will either eat them or get their gills nipped by the fishes :S
Your best bet is to go down to the invertebrate/amphibian forum, theyres alot of posts on them there and stuff :good: also go to axolotl.org for info!
One can easily live in a 2ft tank with filter, sand a few plants and caves...job done :good:
Feeding wise they eat frozen/live bloodworm, earthworms, mussel, river shrimp...anything that is relatively large in size!
If you want more info feel free to pm me!

absoulutely no way lol.

they are coldwater and have certain requirements. Connorsbala has covered them pretty well.

they need sand substrates, they can choke on gravel.
they eat virtually anything from bloodworm to sheled peas.
i would recommend a 3ft tank. But try and make sure that the tank is wider than 12 inches as axies can get to this themselves!

cheers

absoulutely no way lol.

they are coldwater and have certain requirements. Connorsbala has covered them pretty well.

they need sand substrates, they can choke on gravel.
they eat virtually anything from bloodworm to sheled peas.
i would recommend a 3ft tank. But try and make sure that the tank is wider than 12 inches as axies can get to this themselves!

cheers
Shelled peas...hmm, may have to try mine on that :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back