Aquarium Safe Silicone?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

azotemia

Reaction score
besides going to the LFS, can i go to home depot to pick up a silicone to use for a sump? if so, what brand would be my best bet? thank you

besides going to the LFS, can i go to home depot to pick up a silicone to use for a sump? if so, what brand would be my best bet? thank you

You can, but it has to be the kind without fungal resistance. The chemicals used for this are hazardous for the fishies. I think GE Silicone II has been recommended, although it seems like they've added fungus resistance to this recently. The last time I needed some I had a hard time finding some without the fungus resistance.

I'd also recommend getting something that says it can be used around water....I think it will usually say not to submerge it, but I've had good luck with doing so.

dont know if you can get it your side of the pond have a search for CPX 33

its cheap why would you not buy it from a LFS or buy on line

Boat/caravan shops. any DIY store. don't bother checking the ingredients, if it says aquarium safe it is! you would be surprised how many are. £3.50 gets you a 310cm tube.

its cheap why would you not buy it from a LFS or buy on line

but it comes, bigger, cheaper and fresher from, almost, any other outlet. why use the LFS? buy it on line, and wait several days to get it? some not bad reasons, i think you will agree :hyper:

have to agree with buying it from a proper fish place.

save a few £/$ and risk losing your fish due to buying the wrong stuff is not worth it imo and will cost alot more in the long run

save a few £/$ and risk losing your fish due to buying the wrong stuff is not worth it imo and will cost alot more in the long run

as i state, how can you get it wrong, if the tube says its aquarium safe? as for the LFS selling the "real/proper" sealant. there is not one single maker of silicone, that makes a "specific" Aquarium sealant. the stuff you buy from the LFS is the same stuff, with a picture of a fish on it. :hyper: though i guess you should use caution, if you are unsure about reading! :hyper:

now if someone had suggested, in these hard times, that we need to support our LFS even if things are a bit more costly, that would be far harder to argue against. after all we all want them around after this rescission. don't we? but on safety and purely economic terms, it makes no sense to use the LFS.

Im sick to the gills of hearing this statement.... if you cannot see FACT, then perhaps the DIY forum is best avoided ? :angry:

as i state, how can you get it wrong, if the tube says its aquarium safe? as for the LFS selling the "real/proper" sealant. there is not one single maker of silicone, that makes a "specific" Aquarium sealant. the stuff you buy from the LFS is the same stuff, with a picture of a fish on it. :hyper: though i guess you should use caution, if you are unsure about reading! :hyper:

true. im mainly on about where you have to read the ingredients to find out for yourself if its fish safe. the silicone i use i get from a koi dealer as costs less than £3.50 for the normal size silicone tubes. the silicon i use doesnt have pictures of fish etc but clearly states it is suitable for use aquariums etc

Im sick to the gills of hearing this statement.... if you cannot see FACT, then perhaps the DIY forum is best avoided ? :angry:

i like to look at the hardware forum but they are together so i have no option. i also build things for my tank such as my c02 reactors for my planted tank but i dont compromise my fish for a few £

you can buy silicon in LFS in different sizes even the big stuff in a gun

this stuff is cheap and would be no more than $4 more in a LFS why take a risk

as for the stuff for sale in a LFS being no different from other stuff well i don't know about the US but this is the one sold in most LFS hear in the UK

I would say thats for fish tank use wouldn't you as i wouldn't use it to seal up my bath as it has pictures of fish tanks on them

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICON-SILICONE-SEA...A1%7C240%3A1318" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILICON-SILICONE-SEA...A1%7C240%3A1318</a>

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back