Aqua Plus And Nutrafin Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chris1804

Reaction score
ive set up my tank ive put about 40l of water in
ive put 10ml of aqua plus
and 10ml of nutrafin cycle (do i keep adding this for 3 days 10ml and after that 10ml weekly?

do i have to add any more aqua plus?

heater and filter is running ive set the heater to 27c is that correct?

you need to add ammonia

ok ill get some ammonia tomorrow, what does it do?

am right in saying i have to add 10ml of nutrafin cycle for 3 days then 10ml weekly?

do i need to add any more aqua plus? or is that just for when i do water changes?

sorry im new to all this, everybody has to learn somewhere i suppose lol

been reading about cycling tanks im confused,

right ive added aqua plus to the water so thats alright,(how often do i need to do water changes and i take it i need to add this everytime i do a water change,

add nutrafin cycle for the first 3 days then 10ml every week

do all this for 6-8 weeks before i add fish?

how about the ammonia how often do i add that?

Hi chris1804 :)

I'll move your thread to the Your New Freshwater Tank section. You will need to learn about what the cycling process is and how to test your water as you go along. The members who post in there will give you some articles to read and will walk you through the whole thing, step by step. It is a bit of work and will take some time, but will be well worth the effort in the long run.

I'll move your thread to the Your New Freshwater Tank section. You will need to learn about what the cycling process is and how to test your water as you go along. The members who post in there will give you some articles to read and will walk you through the whole thing, step by step. It is a bit of work and will take some time, but will be well worth the effort in the long run.

thanks, anybody tell me a step by step day by day what i need to do. Gonna go and get some ammonia and testing kit today

how often do i add the ammonia?

thanks, anybody tell me a step by step day by day what i need to do. Gonna go and get some ammonia and testing kit today

how often do i add the ammonia?

Don't use cycle it is rubbish. I had to do a 80% water change to get my tank cycle to work with the standard fishless cycle. If you read up on hear about fishless cycling it will tell you but there is a calculator button up top you put in size of tank and want to put around 5ppm for your first lot so around 6g tank requires 1.2ml of ammonia (assuming your ammonia is 9.5%, it will say on bottle).

Make sure you get a descent test kit becuase it is inportant for the levels to be accurate.

I won't explain the whole cycle process for you as it has already been fully written up on the forum, I am sure someone will link it or give you directions.

Kind Regards,

Adam

You'll find all sorts of good information here. The cycling topics should give you a real good idea of what the process is.

brought some ammonia from homebase it bubbled up for about 2 seconds so i guess its ok. Brought a test kit from fish shop. will test it later what does ppm mean.

It is parts per million, this is what your test kit will measure against.

As said before you want to be adding 5ppm using the calculattor. Then as it cycles you should be able to see in about 2/3 days that it drops to around 4ppm and in a week that you will have no to very little ammonia in the tank. At the same time your Nitrite shoudl be rising.

This will later create Nitrate for oyour tank and will help to creat the bacteria required. Onces you have dropped to around 0.0ppm for ammonia or close you should then add around 3-4 ppm of ammonia to continue the cycle until you see a spike in the nitrites & they start dropping to zero.

It will become apparent you are close to this stage when in 2 hours your ammonia has dropped from3/4ppm to in 12 hours or less. ONly top up the ammonia every 24 hours. In the end your cycle with the test should be reading 0 ammoina, 0 nitritae and over 100 for Ntrate.

Once this occurs check evry day at the same time for similar results. If this holds steady for a few day swhile you have still been adding 3ppm of ammonia your tank has cycled.

Then once thi sis done you should performe a water change. if it is over 100ppm in your tank you should do around a 90% water change which will drop it to around 10ppm this will be fine for your fish and anywhere between 5ppm and 20ppm is optimum.

I believe this is all correct (someone please say if I missed or said incorrectly about something) and if you don't undestand anything please say and I will try to break it down and help with a better explination.

This is just an overview of how it works and there are more in depth write ups on the subject on this site and to what I believe you have already been given a link too.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Adam

think i need to get some more testing kit the bloke has only gave me ammonia kit

most of the people on here use and recommend this kit:

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=67

think i need to get some more testing kit the bloke has only gave me ammonia kit

You ideally want a kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH & High PH incase your water is over 7.6PH which most limit at.

For instant my tap water is between 7.8 & 8.0PH from the tap.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back