Api Quick Start / Fishless Cycle Test

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have used DrTim's. I normally do not need bacterial starters since I run about 18 tanks. I can always steal media and also have a rubbermaid filled with excess plants. I used DrTim's to start a tank that I needed to get cycled for a pH of 6.5 fairly fast. I could not use media from other tanks as I was receiving wild caught angels that come from acid waters. I needed to insure I had no disease type bacteria in the tank so could not risk using mature media/substrate from other tanks. I also had some time constraints so I needed to be able to accelerate the rocess.

How long after using the DrTim's product did you feel it was safe to add your fish? How about the Tetra product?

Thanks
Steve

I feel pretty confident that the tank is cycled. If anyone feels it is not, please let me know why. I plan on dosing NH3 to 1ppm every other day until I stock up. Does sound proper?

Thanks
Steve

Log updated. Testing 24hrs. Dosing 1ppm NH3 every other day. How often is necessary to keep beneficial bacteria solid until stocking? Not sure when I will get fish in so I don't want to lose anything.

Thanks
Steve

If you feed some ammonia- 1-2 ppm every 2 or 3 days it should be fine. You can also dose less more frequently.

While it is initially important to get the bacteria to build up colony numbers to handle the bio-load, it is equally important for them to create/build the bio-film in which they will live. This gives them great protection against a lot of things. The bio-film is the product of a variety of the bacteria in tanks and is not limited to just the nitrifiers. They all live in it together.

If you feed some ammonia- 1-2 ppm every 2 or 3 days it should be fine. You can also dose less more frequently.

While it is initially important to get the bacteria to build up colony numbers to handle the bio-load, it is equally important for them to create/build the bio-film in which they will live. This gives them great protection against a lot of things. The bio-film is the product of a variety of the bacteria in tanks and is not limited to just the nitrifiers. They all live in it together.

As always, thanks for the info and for the help along the way.

Steve

One month and apparently fully cycled. Still dosing and testing until stocking is determined. Thanks to all that gave their input and experience. I truly learned a lot being my first fishless cycle and I hope some of you can also learn from this test. In the end, I feel this API product did help in speeding up the process but in no way would I just add fish after a single dose. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and test this kind of product to confirm/debunk their claims and give others a real life test to go by. Would I use this product again? Only if I didn't have mature media which I will hopefully have from now on. Good luck to all who try this product.

Thanks
Steve

Log updated as of 7/31. Fish arrive tomorrow afternoon :hyper: so I'm planning a 75% WC in the morning. Here's hoping all goes to plan :good: Thanks to all of you that helped me through my first fishless cycle :good: and wish me luck.

Thanks
Steve

Log updated

One week in and everything is going very well :good: All the fish seem very healthy and active. Territories are being sorted out and it looks like the Rusty's are winning!!! My only issue, if it even is one, is that the NO3 hasn't budged in a week :blink: Does that sound right?????? I figured with 20 fish something would happen........

Thanks,
Steve

hi all,

with all this talk about quick start products its got my head spinning lol

i had a small 50 lt tank cycled in about 2 weeks or less using bogwood and a used my freinds old filter bearing in mind the filter had not been used in 4-5 months so was dry as a nuns u know what,
however having got called to work i had to go away for a week when i got back i tested my water and everything seemed normal but being new to it all i got a my freind who has been keeping fish for ages to test it, said i was good to go so i took a sample to the lfs who clarified all good...all im saying i think the bacteria can be reacitiviated using declor'd water and api stress coat de clor,
and ive only lost 2 fish since i started the tank 3 months ago due to a #105###e filter trapping a guppy and a houdini peppered corydora.

Hey sooty, very interesting story there. I wouldn't think the bacteria could survive that long without a food source, especially in a dried out sponge. Do you think your friend might have slipped you some mature media when you were away? Other than that, I'm not sure how you could cycle in that short period of time but lucky you :) There are other more experienced keepers here that might be interested in your story. Maybe post a thread about it.

Thanks
Steve

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back