Api Quick Start / Fishless Cycle Test

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is exactly like all the other " I have the answer, I can cheat mother nature tests.."

I see no way that unless you can perpetuate an already viable, feeding, live colony., the question is mute...
Nothing replaces proper cycling IMO,
Again most "miracle" solutions are at best feeding the cycle..
Trust Nature, Question the time table, dosing and the rest but A miracle, I'm done tomorrow additive does not exist.

The test is appreciated, and further as they are presented solutions should be tested, but I see no reason as to ever trust them,
cycling in the accepted (to the researched keeper) manner is without reproach.. proven and solid...

This is exactly like all the other " I have the answer, I can cheat mother nature tests.."

I see no way that unless you can perpetuate an already viable, feeding, live colony., the question is mute...
Nothing replaces proper cycling IMO,
Again most "miracle" solutions are at best feeding the cycle..
Trust Nature, Question the time table, dosing and the rest but A miracle, I'm done tomorrow additive does not exist.

The test is appreciated, and further as they are presented solutions should be tested, but I see no reason as to ever trust them,
cycling in the accepted (to the researched keeper) manner is without reproach.. proven and solid...

Well stated. And as I have noted earlier, this test was to simply prove in my own setup whether or not this product would aide in a cycle. "Prove" is a big word considering I am no scientist and not worthy of examining the ultimate outcome. I am the type of person that despises false advertising and found a situation on this forum to be able to try a product. With the input of other more experienced keepers, we can try to determine if the product is successful. Trusting a product can only be achieved after that product has been PROVEN by the masses. I incurred the cost so that maybe we as a forum could come to a conclusion, positive or negative, about this product. If it fails, c'est la vie. If it works, we now have a proven aide with our hobby. Either way, we are all that much more learned.

Note that I myself do not believe in this type of product. I dosed 3x recommended amount.

Thanks
Steve

Log updated. First NO2 "0". Will test @ 12hr interval.

Log updated. 2- 12hr tests and KH and GH tested. KH-5 GH-12

Log updates. Seems as though the cycle is maybe stuck? Same readings at 12hr intervals for past few days. To any of you with a trained eye, does this cycle appear to be normal? I felt it was time to start testing at 12hr intervals but appears that it may not be needed yet. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Test after 24 not 12.

Dose under 1ppm of ammonia at this point if you feel compelled to dose. This will insure some feeding while the nitrite oxidizers fully establish. You can even dose rhis every other day.

When you test both ammonia and nitrite at 0, do a 50% water change and test nitrates and record the level. Then dose the equivalent of 3 ppm of ammonia, wait 24, (not 12) hours and test. If you read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and your nitrates have risen, you are cycled. If you are not fully cycled according the the 24 hour test, let the numbers 0 out, dose under 1 ppm again and when they are again at zero, repeat the 24 hour/3 ppm test. You should have 0 ammonia after about the day 14 days of the cycle and nitrites are then the real concern. They can take a few more weeks to be handled. Nitrites should spike somewhere between day 12 and day 21 and then drop from there.

The normal time for an unaided fishless cycle should be between 30 and 45 days (about 4-6 weeks). If you can short circuit this time, then the additive may have helped in some way.

Log updated.

TwoTankAmin- I have been showing "0" for both NH3 and NO2 in 24hrs dosing 2ppm for 4 days already. Tomorrow I will do a WC and follow your suggestions. Hopefully it will show me that I am cycled in a few days from now. :nod:

Thanks
Steve

So you started your cycle on 28th of June & are nearly complete? wow, maybe there is somthing in this snakeoil after all. :good:

Tom

Log updated.

Aqua Tom- I didn't have much faith in this product as I have tried others in the past and found them to be worthless, but gave it a shot anyway. Ultimately it will be up to the veterans here to decide if it worked or not. Honestly, it failed as far as I'm concerned. I would not have added fish straight after a single dose. They still would have been exposed to possible toxic levels of NH3, albeit for a "shortish" period of time. At best it may have helped to shorten the cycle, but I did dose 3 times recommended(150ml out of 237ml in entire bottle). That is still a big plus, especially for people that don't have access to mature media to start a new tank. If it can help cycle a tank faster, than I suppose that it is semi-successful.

Actually the cycle started 6/23

Thanks
Steve

Log updated. Do these results mean that the tank is cycled?

Sure looks cycled to me.

Next time I suggest you try DrTim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria- you can order directly from his site. If not that, then try Tetra's Safe Start.

Sure looks cycled to me.

Next time I suggest you try DrTim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria- you can order directly from his site. If not that, then try Tetra's Safe Start.

I believe I will re-do the same process again to make sure the results are consistent. If so, it does appear that this product did indeed shorted the cycle. Still not what API claimed but not totally snake oil. What kind of success have either of those had? Personally or other? I hope to now be able to use my own mature media to future cycle other tanks.

Thanks
Steve

I have used DrTim's. I normally do not need bacterial starters since I run about 18 tanks. I can always steal media and also have a rubbermaid filled with excess plants. I used DrTim's to start a tank that I needed to get cycled for a pH of 6.5 fairly fast. I could not use media from other tanks as I was receiving wild caught angels that come from acid waters. I needed to insure I had no disease type bacteria in the tank so could not risk using mature media/substrate from other tanks. I also had some time constraints so I needed to be able to accelerate the rocess.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back