Api Ammonia Test Showing 0.25ppm?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Unfortunately, I've just bought a new API ammonia test, but I might try the Nutrafin one next time. Apparently that goes clear/pale pink/pink/red. I think it might be easier to see 'clear v pink' as opposed to 'greeny-yellow v yellowy-green'.

The Nutrafin ammo test is also yellow for 0ppm, IIRC. The AquaOne ammo test is clear for 0, however their nitrite is yellow for 0. Why can't a manufacturer make a set of 3 tests where they are all clear on 0ppm?

I asked this once before but got no answer, I use Prime and I read it can give a false positive reading, correct me if I'm wrong but I read it changes Ammonia to Ammonium and when doing the chemical tests the Ammonium shows up as Ammonia, is this correct does anyone know please?

I have read that elsewhere, but never seen it myself. However, the affect of turning ammonia into ammonium is short-lived, and will turn back to ammonia within a few days. As far as I can see, under those circumstances, if the ammonium will shortly turn harmful again, you still need to get rid of it quick.

MrsM; have you thought about finding your little goldie a new home through Aquarist Classified? It's free to put an advert on there, and you usually get a good response. Or a card up in your local LFS or P@H?
i fear he will be put in a bowl or become some fishes dinner if i rehome him to the lfs. at least for now he is safe....im hoping a friend of a friend will have him in their pont after the frosts have gone, ill put him in a bigger container with a filter and air brick until spring i think..

I am so so sorry to jump into someone's thread like this.. but I'm having the exact same problem at the moment.. I've been suffering with ammonia now for about 6 months.. sometimes it's high and sometimes it's at 0.25ppm.. and it just doesn't seem to go below that.. for an example 3 days ago I had 4ppm ammonia.. I have done a 90% water change every day since... don't get me wrong it's made a big difference.. it's now at 0.25ppm.. but I seriously can not ever get it below 0.25ppm no matter what I do.. I use the API... so is this a known problem? As I thought my ammonia test may be faulty.. seems like I'm not the only one out there having this problem.. does anyone have any answers for me or any suggestions... sorry again to jump in here with questions.. just really interested in figuring this one out.. thanks in advance

no need to apologise for jumping into this post because it's from 2012 :)

Most reactions

Back